VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental Appointment Surprise

Rate this topic

Before my 100% P&T the dentist was willing to pull several of my teeth but little more.

After my rating they did a treatment plan that is estimated by a civilian dentist friend to be $32,000 worth of work: bone grafts, implants and crowns instead of removal.

I love the surgeons doing my work. Top shelf senior residents

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I just have some very overworked dentists who don't want to do anything beyond a few crowns and filings. I wish they would outsource me to a private provider. I only get an exam every two years. I have had most of my serious dental work done outside the VA system. There are just way too many vets in Florida. My VAMC serves over 250,000 vets. The dental clinic is tiny.

Many VA dental services are struggling to keep up with demand. An exam every two years is the goal of the current national quality metric, and many services are falling short of even that. Another big issue in VA Dentistry, as this string attests to, is that there is no defined or standard benefit that should be provided to every eligible vet, no matter where they live. It is luck of the draw whether you live near a VA facility that provides cutting edge care, or one that provides only basic services. Most are somewhere in-between