VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Boots On Ground

Rate this question

x020574

Question

I have recently filed a claim for exposure to herbicdes while assigned TDY at Korat AFB 72-73. I was a jet engine mechanic and supplied as much supporting documentation that I had. I filed over 2 months ago, talked to the 800 number twice but have not recieved any verification that they have reviewed my claim - I do have a certified delivery receipt showing it was signed for at the mailroom's VARO on Oct 23, 2012.

Yesterday I finally got a reply from NPRC regarding my requests for pay/travel records for my 2 TDY tours to Korat AFB. To my suprise one of my stops was at Ton Son Nhut AFB RVN, it states that I arrived at 1400 and departed 1450. I think if I refile I should use the Boots On Ground approach as opposed to Direct Connection.

Question: Being that my flight shows I was only on the ground for 50 mins, will the VBA decision makers claim that is not considered Boots On Ground?

Should I refile using both Direct Connect and Boots On Ground?

I have had CABG surgery and dx of IHD.

Edited by x020574

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just to add this case is similar to the veteran here:

FINDINGS OF FACT

"1. The veteran had verified active service from September

1967 to September 1991, including verified service in

Thailand; the veteran has provided competent and credible

evidence that he visited Vietnam, once in 1970 and once in

ORDER

Service connection for prostate cancer is granted."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp00/files1/0001569.txt

Prove of "Visitation" is the key in many BVA decisions.

Wow... thank you all for the support. I am going to go to the VARO (not too far from min 20-30min) and make sure a copy of these documents get put into my c-file. Then I'll sit back and wait a long-time for a decision... I will post back whenever one is made.

Thanks again, it sounds encouraging that I might not have to argue with them as to whether I was 'close enough' to the perimeter fence. Notice how they never gave anyone a difinetive measurement as to what is 'near' or not... hmmm... sounds shady to me.

X020...

Being that you are physically going to your VARO to submit this evidence,

I suggest listing the evidence on a 21-4138 as a cover letter, attaching a COPY

of the evidence to it and requesting a Date Stamped Copy at the VARO when you

submit this.

Carlie is right. She always gives good advice!

Yes, they never did define the "near" factor. Yippie.

I spoke recently with Kurt Priessman, the very first AO Thailand vet, whose work is directly responsible for the AO Thailand directives and for the success of many AO Thailand claimants.

Kurt did a SVR show via hadit on AO Thailand on May 26th, 2010 and available here.

http://www.hadit.com/svr.html

Scroll down to the 5-26-2010 show , then just click on the sound icon,which will download the show to your media player.It might be helpful to you.

X020...

Being that you are physically going to your VARO to submit this evidence,

I suggest listing the evidence on a 21-4138 as a cover letter, attaching a COPY

of the evidence to it and requesting a Date Stamped Copy at the VARO when you

submit this.

Will do... Thank You.

My travel orders have been added to my claim along with a 21-4138 as you suggested. The claim is in the 'under review' stage.

I am assuming most vets who had service in RVN have it noted on their DD214. This might seem like a silly question, but should I file to have my DD214 updated to reflect service in RVN... would it make it easier for submitting future presumptive claims? (I'm very close to DMII and a host of secondaries from that). My current DD214 only shows Thailand service.

Also, do I need to make the VA medical center where I get treatment aware of service in RVN? If so, how would I do that? I am not sure if there is any medical care benefit and/or precedence to RVN AO exposured veterans. I am scheduled, by my request, for an AO registry appointment in Jan/2013.

Thank you for your advice and guidence.