VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reopen Or Send Nod

Rate this question

AmicusBrief

Question

Just received an award of 20%, 10 for tinnitus, 10 for PTSD, and 0 for hearing loss. I planned on challenging the 10% for PTSD and started preparing a NOD letter. I talked to my VSO and he said not to send the NOD. He said he could reopen the claim and it was a better way to go. Frankly, I don't trust the guy. He didn't help me at all with the original claim, in fact, he said I'd never get approved so I did it all on my own. At this point I'm trying to decide which route to take. My first thought is to find a new rep. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you don't trust him then dump him. He was negative from the first about your PTSD claim. You don't want a guy like that asking for an increase for you. You could ask to have your claim reconsidered with new evidence. Just keep in mind the NOD clock is ticking. Sometimes reconsiderations are faster than the NOD/DRO/BVA route. 10% is probably too low for anyone with a DX of PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

I've gotta agree, filing a NOD is the only way to preserve the EED (not EDD). Your VSO is acting in favor of the VA by trying to get you to reopen the claim, thereby saving the VA $$$. 10% for PTSD is way too low! I'd definitely drop him/her. jmo

pr

Thanks guys. My gut reaction the first time I met the guy was negative. He acted like he worked for the VA instead of acting in my interest. I'm going send a letter of revocation of power of attorney tomorrow along with a NOD. I'll start looking for a new VSO in the mean time.