VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic Time Frame

john999

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I filed for my DIC the end of October of this year and Milwaukee received it on 11/02/12. Rockman passed away on 09/02/12, but I waited until I had everything that I thought that they might need. When I called this past week, they said that it could be four months from the date they received the claim. My county VSO had asked me how I was situated money wise when he filed for the DIC. He said that it can take 4 months or so to receive anything. I figure that the longer they hold off, the greater my retro check will be. I do not know if this is the normal minimal time frame all over or not. I do know that it does take time even with everything correctly sent in. I am sure others will chime in.

Celia, Mrs. Rockman

I filed for my DIC the end of October of this year and Milwaukee received it on 11/02/12. Rockman passed away on 09/02/12, but I waited until I had everything that I thought that they might need. When I called this past week, they said that it could be four months from the date they received the claim. My county VSO had asked me how I was situated money wise when he filed for the DIC. He said that it can take 4 months or so to receive anything. I figure that the longer they hold off, the greater my retro check will be. I do not know if this is the normal minimal time frame all over or not. I do know that it does take time even with everything correctly sent in. I am sure others will chime in.

Celia, Mrs. Rockman

I have filed DIC claims for many widows/widowers. Some claims are completed in 30 days and I have seen others take as long as 14 months.. that is submitting a DIC claim with all necessary documentation.

Edited by meghp0405

I did get a letter from VA in Milwaukee today stating that they are still processing my application for DIC and I will be notified when when it is completed. At least I know they received it.

Mr. Rockman

IT is good you received that Celia.

I filed a 1151 claim in Sept 2012 and a legal issue claim in Oct 2012 and I have not received anything at all.

Yesterday I mailed my NOD, and asked them to address the October CUE claim first.

I used ebenefits 800 number the other day and they had me on hold for over an hour and I had to hang up.

I think,regardless of what evidence they have, that the VA will need to send you a VCAA letter, before they handle your claim as the VCAA letter,if properly prepared, spells out your full Duty to Assist rights.

Maybe in some cases that letter is not required to be sent...... your VSO will get a copy of it, as well as you will.

Yes, it eases my mind a bit knowing that I got a letter letting me know that they are at least still processing my claim. I knew I had filed a claim for my DIC, but the VCAA letter never really did enter my mind. So now if I get a VCAA letter, it will not be a surprise.

I certainly hope you do not have to wait too long for your responses!

The long wait times for ebenefits are really not much of a "benefit" to veterans or spouses keeping them on hold so long that they have to give up and hang up! There should be a better way to contact ebenefits and my emphasis is on the word "should".

I cannot stress enough to widows or widowers to make sure all "your ducks are in a row" before mailing off your DIC application and this is just why I keep including it in my postings. Whatever you think that VA will need to review, approve, and process your claim.....sent them more and leave no doubt in their minds what is going on.

I will post as soon as I hear more on my claim.

I hope 2013 is a good year for you!

Celia