VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Proposal To Add Five Tbi Related Illnesses

Rate this question

USMC5811

Question

VA to Add Five TBI Related Illnesses

Week of December 17, 2012

The Department of Veterans Affairs is publishing a proposed regulation in the Federal Register that would change its rules to add five diagnosable illnesses which are secondary to service-connected Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Comments on the proposed rule will be accepted over the next 60 days. A final regulation will be published after consideration of all comments received. The proposed rule and information on how to comment is available on the Federal Register website. Specific information about the Defense and Veteran Brain Injury Center is available at www.dvbic.org. Information about Gulf War and VA's services and programs are available at VA's Gulf War Exposures webpage at www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/hazardous_exposures.asp.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I just entered my comment -

It won't show on the register just yet.

Thank you for submitting a comment on the following Public Submission:

Comment on AN89-Proposed Rule-Ford, Glenn M.

Agency: VA

Document ID: VA-2012-VBA-0029-0002

When will my comment appear online?

After submitting your comment, you will not be able to view your comment until the appropriate agency reviews and publishes it on Regulations.gov. Given certain regulations may have thousands of comments, processing may take several weeks before it is viewed online. To obtain further information, please follow-up with the agency contact listed in the document soliciting your input. To view this document click the link above.

How do I find my comment in the future?

The best way to find your comment in the future is to enter your Comment Tracking Number in the search field on the homepage. You can also search by keyword or submitter name.

Below is my 20 bucks worth.

"I am glad to see some additional clarifying changes being

proposed in the register to help revamp and upgrade the

CFR criteria for TBI, whether it be mild, moderate or severe.

I was honorably discharged in 1978 and had experienced

three separate head traumas during active duty,all resulted in multiple profiles.

Just prior to ETS I began to experience clonic/tonic seizures.

Shortly after separation I was hospitalized at VAMC expense several times for this.

My driver's license was revoked due this.

A VSO helped me file a claim for seizures and headaches along with a couple of additional issues. My VARO denied the issue of seizures and headaches for several years.

On appeal before a panel of VA and Medical Professionals, my claim issue for seizures was finally granted as service connected, with an effective date of day following separation, headaches remained denied for decades.

In October 2008, the first CFR regs went into effect to specifically address TBI's.

I re-opened the claim issue of headaches, low and behold it was granted under the new and revised DC- 8045 for TBI.

I continue to have health difficulties that impact my daily life,

residuals from the head injuries that happened on active duty.

Hopefully this update to the Federal Register will help empower veterans (that have experienced head traumas

while on active duty), obtain the medical care and benefits

that are SUPPOSED to be provided to them, in a timely manner.Personally, way back then in 1978 - action on the part of the VA claim adjudication process and medical professionals at some VAMC's, was in my opinion intolerable and attacking towards a veteran that was a seizure patient.

I am in great hopes that this is changing and no current or future veterans will be treated poorly or denied benefits.

I fully concur with the prior comment in relation to multiple head injuries, this also must be addressed.

Thank you for providing me an opportunity to comment and your consideration of my opinion."