VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Im Not Sure About This.

Rate this question

usmc0599

Question

Good evening,

I just recieved a letter from the VA stating " we have amended your claim to include individual unemployability".

I didnt request this and im not sure if I want it. Im 33 years old and I've ajusted my life to deal with the pain. Iam curretly 80%.

what does this mean and can the VA force me to take this?

For a bit of backgroung on my current claims please refer to my last post

Thank you all.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It means the VA apparently thinks you have an "inferred" or informal claim for Individual Unemployability. No, the VA wont "force" you to take benefits. If you do not want unemployablity, you can simply withdraw your claim.

However, before you withdraw your claim you want to make sure that is what you really want to do. IU is paid at the 100% rate. If you are not working, then maybe you should consider getting IU, that is, if you/your doc thinks you wont be able to work again.

On the other hand, if you can work, or are working at "substantial gainful employment", then you dont want to persue IU. IU (also called TDIU) is for Vets who are unable to maintain substantial gainful employment due to service connected conditions.

Good evening,

I just recieved a letter from the VA stating " we have amended your claim to include individual unemployability".

I didnt request this and im not sure if I want it. Im 33 years old and I've ajusted my life to deal with the pain. Iam curretly 80%.

what does this mean and can the VA force me to take this?

For a bit of backgroung on my current claims please refer to my last post

Thank you all.

Are you currently employed ?

The VBA has probably inferred the issue of IU because

you are at 80 percent SC.

@Crlie,

Iam curretly employed as a security guard.

@deanbrt,

I’m aware of the great benefits, but, as stated before, at 33 years old I’m not sure if that’s a beneficial road for me.

I preffer to endure physical pain and not the emotional torment of being incapacitated. Work allows me to feel somewhat normal and keep me focus on something else besides pain, medicine and the VA.

Last time I was laidoff I fell into a dark place.

@Bronco

how do Inform the VA of my refusal and how or will it affect my 80%??

thank you all

Have you considered VOC rehab? Being a security guard can't be good for your orthopedic problems. You might be able to take the time the TDUI allows you and further your education. It would have to be approved by VA Voc Rehab of course, but considering your age it would give you chance to focus your time and energy on meaningful career. just my two cents.