VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Upgrade A Condition

Rate this question

mlriffraff

Question

Hello

I am new at this so please forgive me.

Last week I received the letter my initial claim was closed and was awarded a combined 60% I was awarderd 30% for a heart condition they service connected. Three weeks ago i underwent open heart surgery for that condition if my research is correct i should receive 100% for 3 to 6 months after surgery. My question is how do i notify the VA of the change do I open a new claim? if anyone can help it would be very nice.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

To have a service-connected disability re-evaluated you should submit a VA FM 21-526b and send it to the VARO in your state.

You are entitled to a special monthly compensation of 100% if your convalscence is longer than 21 days. You will need to obtain a letter from your Doctor stating the following; date of surgery; type of surgery and days that the Doctor has given you for convalscence. Send these two forms to the VARO in your state. The address will be at the top of your rating decision, page 1.

Do not request a re-evaluation during your convalscence period. The VA will not evaluate the disability until you have been cleared by your Doc.

As always, please seek out the assistance of a veterans service officer in your area to assist you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the inofrmation My convalscence will be for 8 weeks. The sad thing is i had my C&P exam the day before surgery and turned in the letter during the exam they used to determine service connected but did not do anything for rhe projected convalscence. I will submit the 21-526b

Well, the intent was noble yet incorrect on many issues.

To have a service-connected disability re-evaluated you should submit a VA FM 21-526b and send it to the VARO in your state. The OP can go through the agony of a 526, but I'd recommend using VA Form 21-4138 . This link http://www.vba.va.go...21-4138-ARE.pdf allows you to type into the form and print it out. But, the local VARO is a real good idea.

You are entitled to a special monthly compensation of 100% if your convalscence is longer than 21 days. First, it is NOT special monthly compensation of 100%; it would be a temporary 100% evaluation. Second, a period of convalescence has to be for more than 1 month; the period of convalescence must be either medically directed or statutory directed by the Rating Schedule. As this troop appears to be service connected for IHD, I presume he had coronary artery bypass surgery, evaluated under Diagnostic Code (DC) 7017 http://www.benefits.......4_104.DOC . A VA examination will be scheduled towards the end of the 3 month statutory convalescence.

You will need to obtain a letter from your Doctor stating the following; date of surgery; type of surgery and days that the Doctor has given you for convalscence. Send these two forms to the VARO in your state. The address will be at the top of your rating decision, page 1. Send as much as you care to. But, if you are service connected for IHD and the surgery was a CABG, notification of the surgery with operative records should be sufficient.

As always, please seek out the assistance of a veterans service officer in your area to assist you. I hope you are not a VSO.

To have a service-connected disability re-evaluated you should submit a VA FM 21-526b and send it to the VARO in your state.

You are entitled to a special monthly compensation of 100% if your convalscence is longer than 21 days. You will need to obtain a letter from your Doctor stating the following; date of surgery; type of surgery and days that the Doctor has given you for convalscence. Send these two forms to the VARO in your state. The address will be at the top of your rating decision, page 1.

Do not request a re-evaluation during your convalscence period. The VA will not evaluate the disability until you have been cleared by your Doc.

As always, please seek out the assistance of a veterans service officer in your area to assist you.

Good luck!

OK then, DC 7016, 100% for 6 months after discharge from the hospital with another VAE.

It seems strange though, that someone with 'only' a 30% evaluation for a heart condition necessitated a valve replacement. Did your condition worsen in the period between the CP&E and the date of the Rating Decision? Or, was this a medical decision to prevent things from worsening?

Are you now part-pig or do you have a 'clicker'?

Thanks the surgery was for a heart valve repair so almost same thing as below and I know it is a temp 100% just needed to know which forms to fill out