VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Difference Between Dro And Raters

Rate this question

SolInvictus

Question

Seasons greetings folks, just have a quick question I need answered to help me tolerate the insane length of time the RO takes to complete the decision phase in a denovo review case. Question; is the DRO pretty much the same person who rates a denovo appeal case or does he or she simply decide on the validity of the vets NOD and then passes the claim on to a different entity to rate and grant percentages? In other words is the DRO decision the final hurdle before notification or do the raters have the final word? As always all thoughtful inputs will be most appreciated.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Count on waiting!

That is definitely one truth I can count on to be constant so you're very right about that.

My past experience (several years ago) with a southeast VARO was that the DROs assigned to a claim were in the supervisory chain of the original rater (RO).

It was rather obvious that the DROs were virtually " rubber stamping" ROs decisions.

The DRO reviews were being completed in a time frame that was too short to be be believable as a true and complete review.

I hope that the current scrutiny, complaints, and review have stopped such things.

I actually hope she works faster because I talked to her before she requested the last set of C&P's and she indicated she viewed my appeal very favorably. So my only problem is the time factor and the meandering nature of the process. But like John999 said, that is the one rule I can count on them to stick to so I guess I better forget this Christmas and hope the new year and January brings better tidings. Thanks for all your input though friends, always much appreciated.

I know there are a lot of differences on this subject and I am going to reiterate my own opinion and take it for what you will. I felt through my painful journey DRO was a dead end. He/she worked in the same office as the original rater and no doubt knew each other and that relationship might influence their review for my appeal and only add years. I wanted it at BVA asap and that is where I eventually prevailed..

You have to go with your heart on this one. There are just a lot of variables.....

I know there are a lot of differences on this subject and I am going to reiterate my own opinion and take it for what you will. I felt through my painful journey DRO was a dead end. He/she worked in the same office as the original rater and no doubt knew each other and that relationship might influence their review for my appeal and only add years. I wanted it at BVA asap and that is where I eventually prevailed..

You have to go with your heart on this one. There are just a lot of variables.....

Sorry to hear they put you through that kind of pain Deanbrt. It's a shame you had to wait all that time for a redemption they must've known you deserved from the outset. And even though I'm sure the retro doesn't undo the wrong done to you, I'm sure it was a small consolation to have been proven right by the arc of the moral universe so to speak. It's good to see right overcome regardless of how long it takes. I went the DRO route and sort of feel I'm close to the finish favorably because I simply misunderstood the process in the beginning. I made it easy for them to deny me because I counted on their honesty and goodwill with respect to vets. This Time I did my research and backed my claim up with so much evidence that they really have to totally disregard their own rule book and precedent to escape the checkmate I have baited them into. Even the DRO herself admitted I was wrongfully denied to my vfw rep and pretty much said I have some CUE's even I didn't catch before. I hope this will be, once all is said and done, justice for me in a small but meaningful way, as perhaps yours ended up being. Thanks for your care and assistance buddy.

Do you want to see the individual job discriptions?

J

J, sorry it took me a while to respond to you. Thanks for the info and I'm glad you didn't mistake my silence for a no. You're great buddy.