VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Applying For Commissary Store & Exchange Privileges I.d. Card

Rate this question

georgiapapa

Question

I have some questions regarding applying for the DD 2765 I.D. Card to gain access to military base commissary stores & exchanges.

QUESTION: Can you download and print the AB3 Commissary Letter from the Ebenefits web site and use it at the military base RAPIDS office as verification of your eligibility for commissary & exchange privileges or do you have to obtain an original letter from the VA?

On the "Download VA letters" section of Ebenefits, they show a DD 1172 form application form available for downloading. It appears this is the form used to apply for the DD 2765 I.D. Card to gain base access.

However, when I checked online for instructions on the DD 1172, it appears the DD 1172 may have been replaced by DD 1172-2. I found instruction for DD1172-2 but not DD1172. Since the form is used by different categories of people, it is not clear as to what responses should be given in certain parts.

QUESTION: Should I use DD 1172 or DD 1172-2 to apply for the I.D. Card for base access?

QUESTION: If I use DD 1172, where do I find the instructions for this form?

QUESTION: Should the DD 1172 be completed at the base RAPIDS office or prior to going to the office?

QUESTION: Exactly what documents should be taken to the RAPIDS office?

Your responses will be appreciated.

Georgiapapa...

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Use the 1172

Print the letter off of E Benefits.

Take a couple of forms of ID, Drivers License and VA ID card.

Fill out the form whenever you want but dont sign it, They may need to see you sign it.

If you are taking wife, take Marriage License. Her ID and ECT.

If you were married in service then she may already be in Deers so it will be easier.

It is a pretty easy process.

John

John,

Thanks once again. Your responses helped but I still have concerns. I am still not sure on how to reply to some of the questions on the DD 1172. There are no instructions with the form and I have not found any online. Using the online instructions for the DD 1172-2 I was able to provide some of the responses. However, certain parts of the DD 1172 and DD 1172-2 do not match so this is confusing. Also since this form is also used by active duty military personnel so they can obtain cards for their dependents, some of the questions may not apply to disabled veterans but I am not sure.

Section I: (Sponsor Information):

In block #4 (status) would I insert the code "DAVPRM' which is from a code list in the DD 1172-2 instructions?

In block #6 (pay grade) would I insert my former military pay grade or leave it blank?

In block #7 (rank) would I insert my former military rank or leave it blank?

In block #8 (general category) what do I insert in this block?

In block #9 (Type of card issued) what do I insert in this block?

In block #10 (ID number) what do I insert in this block?

In block #11 (Last update). I assume I leave this block blank but I am not sure?

In block #12 (V/I) what do I insert in this block?

In block #19 (UIC) what do I insert in this block?

In block #27 (Medicare) do you respond yes or no or do you list your medicare number?

In block #29 (Elig st/MC effective date) Is this the date I became 100% P&T?

In block #30 (Card Expires/Elig END date) I would hope this would state "indefinite" but I am not sure.

In block #31 (Privileges authorized) what do I check off in this block?

In block #32 (End eligibility reason) I assume this would be left blank?

Secttion II: (Dependents Information):

Some of the same questions from above are asked so I would know how to answer these questions if I knew how to respond to the above questions in Section I.

I am going to contact the RAPIDS office tomorrow and ask if they will assist me in filling out the form during my appointment. Since the appointments are scheduled every twenty minutes, I am not sure if they will be willing to do this. If not, I will complete what I can on the form and leave the rest blank and hope they will insert the info.

This base is about 45 miles from my home so I would like to make only one trip.

I don't know why the VA or DOD doesn't provide specific instructions for this form in which they state what responses are applicable to which group and explain exactly what they are asking.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome them.

Georgiapapa...

Thanks John,

Georgiapapa...

John,

Thanks once again. Your responses helped but I still have concerns. I am still not sure on how to reply to some of the questions on the DD 1172. There are no instructions with the form and I have not found any online. Using the online instructions for the DD 1172-2 I was able to provide some of the responses. However, certain parts of the DD 1172 and DD 1172-2 do not match so this is confusing. Also since this form is also used by active duty military personnel so they can obtain cards for their dependents, some of the questions may not apply to disabled veterans but I am not sure.

Section I: (Sponsor Information):

In block #4 (status) would I insert the code "DAVPRM' which is from a code list in the DD 1172-2 instructions?

In block #6 (pay grade) would I insert my former military pay grade or leave it blank?

In block #7 (rank) would I insert my former military rank or leave it blank?

In block #8 (general category) what do I insert in this block?

In block #9 (Type of card issued) what do I insert in this block?

In block #10 (ID number) what do I insert in this block?

In block #11 (Last update). I assume I leave this block blank but I am not sure?

In block #12 (V/I) what do I insert in this block?

In block #19 (UIC) what do I insert in this block?

In block #27 (Medicare) do you respond yes or no or do you list your medicare number?

In block #29 (Elig st/MC effective date) Is this the date I became 100% P&T?

In block #30 (Card Expires/Elig END date) I would hope this would state "indefinite" but I am not sure.

In block #31 (Privileges authorized) what do I check off in this block?

In block #32 (End eligibility reason) I assume this would be left blank?

Secttion II: (Dependents Information):

Some of the same questions from above are asked so I would know how to answer these questions if I knew how to respond to the above questions in Section I.

I am going to contact the RAPIDS office tomorrow and ask if they will assist me in filling out the form during my appointment. Since the appointments are scheduled every twenty minutes, I am not sure if they will be willing to do this. If not, I will complete what I can on the form and leave the rest blank and hope they will insert the info.

This base is about 45 miles from my home so I would like to make only one trip.

I don't know why the VA or DOD doesn't provide specific instructions for this form in which they state what responses are applicable to which group and explain exactly what they are asking.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome them.

Georgiapapa...

Please don't get wrapped up on these forms! If you take the items with you (listed above) go to the nearest installation, ID card section. Most are now located at the post inprocessing center. They will fill these forms out for you! Do not forget to have your award letter from the VA.