VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To Add Tbi Or Not

Rate this question

canton

Question

VA currently service connected me for the following conditions:

PTSD 100% P & T

GERD 30%

Head Injury Scar 0%

Right elbow Residuals Scars 0%

Right Knee Residual Scar 0%

Headaches 0%

My question is since I have a Head Injury Scar that's service connected for my combat operation in Iraq. Should I also put in a claim for TBI, Since VA only diagnosed me with a mTBI like years ago and told me to only get treatment from the PTSD clinic. Should I also file claims for the residual conditions for TBI and GERD? I think I got cheated off by listening to the VA Rep to put in only for the scar conditions.

Well, I was never treated in the Military for TBI, nor any of the Docs knew what TBI were back in 2003-2004. They just gave me some field dressing to clean the head wound when we were out on patrol, and that was the end of that. If you were in my situation, what would you do? Please name the ALL the conditions which you think I can file. Please put yourself in my shoes. Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen.

P.S I am also worry if I put in new claims the VA would try to take away the my current 100% ratings. Pls Advise.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

VA currently service connected me for the following conditions:

PTSD 100% P & T

GERD 30%

Head Injury Scar 0%

Right elbow Residuals Scars 0%

Right Knee Residual Scar 0%

Headaches 0%

My question is since I have a Head Injury Scar that's service connected for my combat operation in Iraq. Should I also put in a claim for TBI, Since VA only diagnosed me with a mTBI like years ago and told me to only get treatment from the PTSD clinic. Should I also file claims for the residual conditions for TBI and GERD? I think I got cheated off by listening to the VA Rep to put in only for the scar conditions.

Going by your info posted above you are already SC'd

for Gerd.

You are eligible for medical care for any and all medical conditions

and any needed RX meds.

Well, I was never treated in the Military for TBI, nor any of the Docs knew what TBI were back in 2003-2004. They just gave me some field dressing to clean the head wound when we were out on patrol, and that was the end of that. If you were in my situation, what would you do? Please name the ALL the conditions which you think I can file. Please put yourself in my shoes. Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen.

P.S I am also worry if I put in new claims the VA would try to take away the my current 100% ratings. Pls Advise.

Anytime a claimant submits a request for additional / increased benefits, it

automatically allows for a new look-see at whatever is currently provided.

Canton, congrats on your 100% p&t. I'm sort of in your situation and was wondering how long it took you to win your case and with which RO did you have to deal. Your example might give others in your situation some insight and hope. Semper Fi devil dog.

Thanks for the prompt responds from all the Vets sacrificed so much out here. Because documenting all the conditions from the military in the VA claim would help me if they update or add new benefits/entitlements to different conditions in a future time.

Besides havng only PTSD will limits my ability to seek "gainful employment", meaning having a job besides working in a "protected environment" like at home. If they can combine PTSD and/or TBI to be 100% P&T, I think I can still be "gainfully employ" without problems. I gave my 200% to the Marines when I was in. But when I got sick after my combat deployment, my superiors just told me to suck it up because I was the "go to guy", they needed me in the shop all the time. I think because of that I lost disability retirement benefits. I'd never went to medical for anything for 3 yrs, until my post deployment. Even then, I think I went there for less than 10 times. Luckily, The O-3 Doc knew what was going on in my mismanaged unit and documented many medical problems in my record. I put in the PTSD claim in the VA and 10 months later I was awarded 100% P&T. I think obtaining a medical statement from ALL your medical providers is the key to sustaining your claim. I only wish I can still fight for my medical retirement. Thanks for all your inputs.

Enlisted at 17, Meritorious promoted 2X, Honorable discharge as a SGT. USMC 2000-2004.