VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Proposed Rule For Non -Va Med Services

Berta

Question

This might become a biggy

A good friend of mine (works for VA) just sent me news of this:

12/19/2012 The AAFP is expressing strong support for a proposed rule from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that would make it easier for veterans to access care from community-based physicians and other health care professionals who are not affiliated with the VA.” American Assoc of Family Physicians

The comment period is short- over on December 28th,2012.

I hope others here will support this by emailing a comment.

The instructions are here for posting a comment at the Fed Register and it pays to carefully read the entire proposed rule first.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-11-28/pdf/2012-28776.pdf

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

13 answers to this question

Great idea Berta!

I fully support this. I find it ironic that my wife gets better care than I do, and I am the VET. Why? Because she gets Champva and can go to any doc, but I HAVE to go to the VA. She ALSO gets VAMC care, because she has been approved at my VAMC. Spouses of 100% Vets can get VAMC care, depending on the resources of the particular VAMC..it has to be approved by the VAMC director.

I think most people would have to be brain dead to take VAMC care over private care. Further, I think the proposal would save the government money because the VA is very, very wasteful. I did not make this up, read this:

http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/bg166.pdf

The National Center for Policy Analysis says it well:

"Throughout the history of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), fraud,

mismanagement and waste have plagued what is perhaps the most comprehensive

veterans’ assistance system in the world. An examination of the Veterans Disability

Compensation Program offers little reassurance that the system is improving. What

can be done about the VA?

Great idea Berta!

I think most people would have to be brain dead to take VAMC care over private care. Further, I think the proposal would save the government money because the VA is very, very wasteful. I did not make this up, read this:

I don't know if I agree, I think it depends on the VA office and the Personnal working there.. Each location is different. I have used 5 or 6 different VA office over the last 25 years, and only two in my opinion were messed up... Oh the other hand, no one forces any one to get va medical treatment..( regardless if you can afford other care or not) ...also if you don't trust your VA doctor ask for a diffferent doctor. In another two or three years everyone is going to get the same treatment anyway thanks to Obama Care..... then everyone will be complaining and only the very rich will be able to seek care outside of Obama care,.....

Comments are still open ,until midnight tonight at the “Regulations” site of the Federal Register for this proposed amendment:

http://www.regulations.gov./#!docketDetail;D=VA-2012-VHA-0028

They have 65 comments now and mine has not been posted yet so, 66 so far.Maybe more will be posted today.

It takes a day or so for your comment to appear in the Federal Register on line.

This is your way of having impact on VA policy.

If you are happy with your VA health care, tell them.

If you support this regulation, tell them that too.

Please no rants on this one ---- this proposed reg is far too important for that .

There is always something ,as a RIN from VA , rom time to time in the Federal Register, that gives vets and all of us advocates plenty of time to gripe and make a negative but intelligent comment ,with good cause.

I gave a short supportive comment but I was also thinking in terms of this....if the amendment is passed, this could result in some cases, of a veteran being able to gain a medical non VA opinion that could overcome a negative VA C & P opinion,from a doctor or health care professional not locked into the Hamster Wheel game.( or even maybe a more accurate diagnosis )

The VA health Care system is as overwhelmed as the claims system.

Overwhelmed individuals obviously make many mistakes.

In my opinion, this is a good proposal and something many in the veterans community have wanted for years.

Comments are still open ,until midnight tonight at the “Regulations” site of the Federal Register for this proposed amendment:

http://www.regulations.gov./#!docketDetail;D=VA-2012-VHA-0028

They have 65 comments now and mine has not been posted yet so, 66 so far.Maybe more will be posted today.

It takes a day or so for your comment to appear in the Federal Register on line.

This is your way of having impact on VA policy.

If you are happy with your VA health care, tell them.

If you support this regulation, tell them that too.

Please no rants on this one ---- this proposed reg is far too important for that .

There is always something ,as a RIN from VA , rom time to time in the Federal Register, that gives vets and all of us advocates plenty of time to gripe and make a negative but intelligent comment ,with good cause.

I gave a short supportive comment but I was also thinking in terms of this....if the amendment is passed, this could result in some cases, of a veteran being able to gain a medical non VA opinion that could overcome a negative VA C & P opinion,from a doctor or health care professional not locked into the Hamster Wheel game.( or even maybe a more accurate diagnosis )

The VA health Care system is as overwhelmed as the claims system.

Overwhelmed individuals obviously make many mistakes.

In my opinion, this is a good proposal and something many in the veterans community have wanted for years.

I think this is a great benefit that will help a lot of vets with better health care and not from VA should be a plus.

Yes. interesting how many non VA audio professionals commented ---everything from Miracle Ear to major audio health centers .

Thank You John 999 ......... again you have had impact on a VA policy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I

• HadIt.com Elder
Yes. interesting how many non VA audio professionals commented ---everything from Miracle Ear to major audio health centers .

Thank You John 999 ......... again you have had impact on a VA policy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I

Looks like they don't want anymore comments!

"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments."

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a Medicare Advantage plan that mostly has small copays. It appears t me that if the VA would pick up the copays and the occasional procedures that cost more instead of spendfing many thousands on me it would be hundreds. It would also make my life a lot better.

I am afraid that the VA is resistant to letting something like this happen cause they are afraid it would end up costing them part of their empire.

I just made my comment and received a verification

tracking number.

I don't know when my comment will actually post on the register,

but here it is.

Unfortunately most commenters have taken this comment period as an opportunity to either mis-understand the revision, or attempt to mis-apply the revision in a way that would be financially beneficial to their specific medical service business,

of treatment and care for hearing impairment.

This revision is extremely limited in scope and will provide

minimal additional benefit, to the veterans community.

This revision is limited to: § 17.52(a)(2)(ii)

1) payment authorization by fee basis to a non-va provider, required to complete treatment of condition/s the veteran was hospitalized for

2) each authorization for non-VA care needed to complete treatment may continue

for up to 12 months, and that VA may issue new authorizations as needed

The "amendment would only affect the eligibility of certain veterans for medical services provided by a non-VA provider under the non-VA care authority in 38 U.S.C. 1703;"

"We also note that this proposed amendment would not affect other provisions

in this regulation that specify veterans' eligibility for non-VA care."

The quotations above, clarifies that this revision,

does not provide any additional veterans benefit

for fee basis authorization of payment to non-VA medical providers on the behalf of veterans, for medical treatment that does not meet the specific criteria of

this revision.

In other words, this revision does not provide fee basis authorization of payment to non-VA providers, for medical care of veterans, under the majority of general medical conditions/situations, they seek care for.

Even in the limited scope of this revision I am left wondering what additional

hoops, both the veteran and the medical provider, will need to jump through,

to obtain this benefit.

Would this included a vet being hospitalized and then being transported to VA hospital before treatment was concluded? This is what I thought it to mean. I have heard many horror stories about people being transported while still not stable, only to be sent to close VA hospital. If vet is sick, he or she should remain where they are at until well enough to go home. I posted this comment on registry. HNY to all.

Would this included a vet being hospitalized and then being transported to VA hospital before treatment was concluded? This is what I thought it to mean. I have heard many horror stories about people being transported while still not stable, only to be sent to close VA hospital. If vet is sick, he or she should remain where they are at until well enough to go home. I posted this comment on registry. HNY to all.
In my opinion - no, it would not pertain to the scenario above.