VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Proposed Rule For Non -Va Med Services

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This might become a biggy

A good friend of mine (works for VA) just sent me news of this:

12/19/2012 The AAFP is expressing strong support for a proposed rule from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that would make it easier for veterans to access care from community-based physicians and other health care professionals who are not affiliated with the VA.” American Assoc of Family Physicians

The comment period is short- over on December 28th,2012.

I hope others here will support this by emailing a comment.

The instructions are here for posting a comment at the Fed Register and it pays to carefully read the entire proposed rule first.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-11-28/pdf/2012-28776.pdf

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Great idea Berta!

I fully support this. I find it ironic that my wife gets better care than I do, and I am the VET. Why? Because she gets Champva and can go to any doc, but I HAVE to go to the VA. She ALSO gets VAMC care, because she has been approved at my VAMC. Spouses of 100% Vets can get VAMC care, depending on the resources of the particular VAMC..it has to be approved by the VAMC director.

I think most people would have to be brain dead to take VAMC care over private care. Further, I think the proposal would save the government money because the VA is very, very wasteful. I did not make this up, read this:

http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/bg166.pdf

The National Center for Policy Analysis says it well:

"Throughout the history of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), fraud,

mismanagement and waste have plagued what is perhaps the most comprehensive

veterans’ assistance system in the world. An examination of the Veterans Disability

Compensation Program offers little reassurance that the system is improving. What

can be done about the VA?

Great idea Berta!

I think most people would have to be brain dead to take VAMC care over private care. Further, I think the proposal would save the government money because the VA is very, very wasteful. I did not make this up, read this:

I don't know if I agree, I think it depends on the VA office and the Personnal working there.. Each location is different. I have used 5 or 6 different VA office over the last 25 years, and only two in my opinion were messed up... Oh the other hand, no one forces any one to get va medical treatment..( regardless if you can afford other care or not) ...also if you don't trust your VA doctor ask for a diffferent doctor. In another two or three years everyone is going to get the same treatment anyway thanks to Obama Care..... then everyone will be complaining and only the very rich will be able to seek care outside of Obama care,.....

Comments are still open ,until midnight tonight at the “Regulations” site of the Federal Register for this proposed amendment:

http://www.regulations.gov./#!docketDetail;D=VA-2012-VHA-0028

They have 65 comments now and mine has not been posted yet so, 66 so far.Maybe more will be posted today.

It takes a day or so for your comment to appear in the Federal Register on line.

This is your way of having impact on VA policy.

If you are happy with your VA health care, tell them.

If you support this regulation, tell them that too.

Please no rants on this one ---- this proposed reg is far too important for that .

There is always something ,as a RIN from VA , rom time to time in the Federal Register, that gives vets and all of us advocates plenty of time to gripe and make a negative but intelligent comment ,with good cause.

I gave a short supportive comment but I was also thinking in terms of this....if the amendment is passed, this could result in some cases, of a veteran being able to gain a medical non VA opinion that could overcome a negative VA C & P opinion,from a doctor or health care professional not locked into the Hamster Wheel game.( or even maybe a more accurate diagnosis )

The VA health Care system is as overwhelmed as the claims system.

Overwhelmed individuals obviously make many mistakes.

In my opinion, this is a good proposal and something many in the veterans community have wanted for years.