VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can A Veteran Who Is 100%

Rate this question

martinezp29

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Can a verteran who is 100% work part-time? I am 100% service connected for N/P, I still need a certain amount of quarters to be eligible for SSID.

Welcome,

I am moving your topic to the Claims / Benefits forum.

I believe if you are not adjudicated as

100 percent SC due solely to a mental health disability

or compensated at the 100 percent level due to IU status,

then yes, you can work, especially if part time.

JMHO

Other's will probably chime in.

• HadIt.com Elder

While you can work if you are 100% scheduler for a condition other than PTSD and it's hangers on, you may have another problem with SSID.

SSID requires that more or less, you cannot work in really gainful employment. Accumulating SSA quarters can be considered as evidence that you can work,

even though you might be working at menial jobs. The basic key, as I understand it, would likely be tied to income from the work, as well as it's nature.

There is a tremendous variation or inconsistency from area to area when it comes to SSA determinations.

A friend of ours submitted an SSDI claim, went through the appeal process, and still lost. He had well documented IHD, was a house painter, and worked as an independent small family owned business. SSA decided that he could "run" the business (his wife had been doing so while he painted), and hire someone to paint. ???? Claim denied. He did not apply for early SSA retirement, even though he had enough credits to do so.

SSA seems to be looking a bit harder at SSDI determinations in the last few years.

Like many government programs, the Devil is in the details.

If you were trying to accumulate quarters towards SSA retirement at the usual age, things would be different. This is a situation many try to use to their advantage.

Let's add another way of looking at things. Lets say you were 62, or close to it, and had enough quarters to retire. In this case, there is an obvious advantage to applying for SSID.

Why? SSDI is paid until you are 65, then the payment reverts to SSA at the same rate at which you would be paid if you retired at your "normal" retirement age.

Further, SSA seems to look at an application for "early retirement" when it is accompanied by an SSDI claim as a more valid claim than an SSDI claim by itself. ???

I am going to answer this differently.....

You say your service connected 100% or N/P ( non-service connected Pension) correct..

idf that is the case your working isn't going to do you much good.

the non-service connected pension will be offset by any amount you make.

Edited by Teac

• HadIt.com Elder
Can a verteran who is 100% work part-time? I am 100% service connected for N/P, I still need a certain amount of quarters to be eligible for SSID.

Could you please explain N/P, as I can't decipher it (brain cramp)??? Also can you post your age, as I'm not understanding the quarters issue. SS often tells claimants they lack needed quarters based on their disability onset date, when in fact they do have enough quarters if they use their "actual" disability onset date and not their date of claim.

pr

Yes, that is confusing, PR. If the poster means "NSC" pension by "N/P", then Teac nailed it. But you wont be "100% SC" with a Non Service Connected Pension, by defination.

This question has been answered before: If you are 100% SC (non IU), then, yes you may work, with an exception made for mental health disabilities.

Reason: The criteria for 100% for mental health disabilities includes "total occupational" disability, that is, you cant work because you have a mental disorder that is service connected.

This would suggest that if you are working with your mental disorder, then your condition improved, by defination, and you will likely be reduced.

With IU, its a little more complex. The defination of IU is that you are unable to maintain Substantial Gainful employment due to Service connected conditions. "Substantial Gainful employment" is defined as earning more than the poverty level in a 12 month period, that is, more than about $10,000 per year. Marginal employment is not SGE...you can cut the neighbors grass, you can even remodel his bathroom for pay, unless you earn more than 10,000 in a year.