VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

General Norman Schwarzkopf

SP4RVN1971

General Norman Schwarzkopf is dead at the aged of 78.

This was the news on the Telegraph (and on every media) two days ago. It is sad thought to think that nobody seems to really know what killed the “Stormin” (The Grizzly Bear of the desert as many called him).

They write this;

“Schwarzkopf himself largely kept out of the limelight. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1993, but was treated successfully, and is thought to have died from pneumonia.”

In another news site they say this;

“…Norman survived combat in Vietnam, and the war in the Middle East but tragically couldn't win his battle with prostate cancer.”

I took this soldier’s words seriously when diagnosed with prostate cancer back in 2000. His famous name was recognized and his comments on PCa helped many of us to face the disease with courage and to talk openly about it.

I recall reading him to say that “…now we got the internet as our ‘savior of information’ on the disease”. I see it happen in my case because it has been the internet where I have found a “niche” where to call in times of uncertainty. The net has been a source of help along my twelve years living with the bandit.

General Norman Schwarzkopf had surgery in 1994 but not much is known about his cancer’s aggressivity or the treatment results. He became a spokesman for the Nature Conservancy and an initiative to fund prostate cancer research.

He once wrote;

“.. When my doctor said, “General, you have prostate cancer,” I was thrust into an immediate and fearful state of confusion. I can still recall my inability to move a muscle for what seemed like an eternity after hearing my diagnosis. (Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His autobiography "It Doesn't take a Hero", is fabulous.

His humor and his leadership are un-excelled.

Wish I could tell one story he told in the book-SO FUNNY, I laugh every time I think about it........

It contains, however, numerous curse words.....

Oh Well I will tell it ....what it was......a Commander had given orders to stop the excessive cursing at the installation he was at.

One Guy (maybe a PLt Sgt )was notorious for using curse words as nouns,verbs, adverbs, you name it, when he gave the daily morning reports,briefings , and orders to his men..

Stormin Norman heard the Commander had sent orders to be read the next day as to an order for everyone to stop the excessive cursing on the installatioh.

Schwartzkopf got up at 5 AM not to miss the platoon sgt or whatever his rank was, to read the order to his men.

The PLT SGT read the order perfectly, and then you could hear a pin drop when he said all cursing must cease and desist immediately!

Then, Schwartzkopf said, he dismissed his men with the longest rendition of 'OK you MFers heard the order so get your MFin' sorry asses out a here and get to f ing work you **&&%^%$$### bastards and then he threw in every single curse word there was before he said 'Dismissed' !!!!!

Schwartzkopf quickly found a place where no one could see him and said he laughed so hard he almost peed his pants

• HadIt.com Elder

Just think. He was the last General to be allowed to plan an invasion and actually do it without any micro - management from DC.

We need more like him. He wore it on his sleeve. If he liked it, you would know it. If he didn't, you would also know it.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

When is the last time any of us guys had the finger up the butt by a doctor or a colonoscopy? What is it about those type procedures that give us the willies?

Hello All,,,,,, What a great General and as Jbasser pointed out ,,,,he did it right the first time out , without a bunch of Washington arm chair experts stalling him on his next plan.

If the events took place today ........ I don't even want to speculate what might have happened.

The General was precisely at the right place and at the right time to bring a place in history that our Soldiers and Veterans were all saying.... Getem General. His stature and leadership will be hard to replace. NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use