VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Job

Rate this question

david walker

Question

Guys I need some advice. I have a interview jobinterview. Its a desk job, and will be alot easier on me. Problem is I take lortab & xanax. I know its legal, but I would rather they not know. I called the lab and they said it would not cause me to fail the drug test but it will show up and I should tell them. I've thought about laying off to get all my meds out of my system. Any ideas.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

david my 2 cents - always be honest, never stop taking your meds unless your doc tells you to, prescriptions written to you are a clean test, however i understand what you are saying i believe you are not worried about failing the drug test, you are worried that if they find out the type of drugs you are on they may be hesitant to give you the job, well david i would not be surprised that many folks you would work with may be taking xanax or something similar. i think what i would do is bring my prescirptions in with me for the drug test so they can make a note of it. it's possible that the result the employer gets is just pass/fail and not a list of drugs found. i could be wrong, i know this is very anxiety producing for you right now, but remember if you aren't upfront right from the get go, you will have anxiety all the time that they might find out. so i don't know if this helps, but i hope it does

David;

Where John and I use to work they started the drug testing after an accident and someone got killed, What they are looking for is illegal drugs and achcol. The precription medicaton should not be affected although it might show up on the test therefore you need to be upfront with them. And if I am not mistaken they are going around and saying hire Vets. If you do not comply and you do pass the test and they find out later you could end up losing the job. They can not hold medical conditions against you, even if they try it is against the law. and once hired they can not fire you because of your medical conditions, that also is against the law. Carry a list of all your medications with you at all times therefore if a random test would come up you would be covered. this also includes any cough medicine you would take or anything over the counter, because they will definitly come up on the test. Good Luck

I would definitely think that if you are appying at a public school, you should by all means let them know the type of meds you are taking. With the problems that occur daily in the public school systems, you don't want to hide anything from them in the event down the road something should come up. You want to make sure that you have yourself covered.

This is just my opinion though.

mssoup1