VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Are Va Ratings Good For?

Rate this question

fiasco007

Question

Here is my question; How long are proposed VA ratings good for?

Background - I'm still active duty, going through the IDES system and trying to stretch it out for another year so I can hit 20. I had my C&P exam last Feb 2012, and recieved my proposed ratings a few months later. I saw a few things online that says the proposed ratings are only good for a year, and a new C&P will have to be done.

If this is true, how will this effect my active duty/retirement time/compensation after retirment? I tried to find the answer online, asked my PEBLO, and also I think the PEB forum is down cause the page wont load.

if anyone knows, or has gone through this, it would be greatly appreciated if you could shed some light on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Unless a rating is actually issued by the va it doesn't mean a thing. The va only issues temporary 100% ratings all other ratings are actually permanent .. but even a permanent rating can be increased or decreased if the medical condition changes in any way. In your case, proposed ratings are not valid for compensation purposes, you must receive an actual rating letter with an explaination of why you received the rating. Since you are still active duty your ratings will not become effective until discharge.. it is possible that you will receive the proposed ratings as actual ratings , but in one year medical issues can change.

Unless a rating is actually issued by the va it doesn't mean a thing. The va only issues temporary 100% ratings all other ratings are actually permanent .. but even a permanent rating can be increased or decreased if the medical condition changes in any way. In your case, proposed ratings are not valid for compensation purposes, you must receive an actual rating letter with an explaination of why you received the rating. Since you are still active duty your ratings will not become effective until discharge.. it is possible that you will receive the proposed ratings as actual ratings , but in one year medical issues can change.

Teac,

I recieved one of those letters that explain why they rated me the way they did, and why it isnt higher. But this letter is from a year ago. I'm trying to stay after for another year so I can retire at 20. Will my ratings still be good at that time. amd when I do finaly retire start getting compensated for it?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have a VA rating for 20 years it cannot be reduced. Once you are rated by the VA for ten years your rating cannot be severed except for fraud or character of service.

Teac,

I recieved one of those letters that explain why they rated me the way they did, and why it isnt higher. But this letter is from a year ago. I'm trying to stay after for another year so I can retire at 20. Will my ratings still be good at that time. amd when I do finaly retire start getting compensated for it?

I am not sure what the va will do in a case like yours. I don't understand why the va rated you before you put in for retirement. Normally, the military will evaluate your medical fitness prior to retirement or ETS and if there are issues that you should be compensated for the military issues you a disability rating. After the Military does it thing, and if you have a VA office on your base your records are sent to them and they start your claim, but that normally doesn't happen until you have a firm retirement or ets date.