VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Diagnosed Major Depression

Rate this question

TLaff

Question

I am diagnosed by VA mental health Doc with Major Depression secondary to GMC, axis I pain disorder with both Psychological factors and General Medical Condition, axis II deferred axis iii GERD, shoulder arthralgia, degeneration of cervical intervetebrae axis Iv chronic pain loss of functioning axis V GAF 50-55

I have a claim in for Major Depression,

Two questions are 1. I was diagnosed by VA Ment Health Doc, i take meds for depression, will i still get a C&P exam since it was a VA Doc that diagnosed me or will they just rate me???

2. Any idea what rating i should be looking to get???

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They may not deny it but you need to think about your percentage rating. If you can't work due to MDD then you should apply for TDIU. MDD is on the scale of a psychotic disorder, so you should get at least 30%. If you have recently attempted suicide it would be more (not to encourage you). What meds do you take? What are your major symptoms? You may need an IMO/IME at some point if they low ball you. I had the DX of bipolar disorder and then MDD later on, so what matters is how the disorder affects your ability to socialize and work.

John

You would have to have another diagnosis to have psychotic symptoms. MDD doesn't, bipolar I&II would possibly but otherwise that wouldn't fit. Unless he had catatonic symptoms.

It's always better to end up not needing an IMO or anything else you gather up than to need it and not have it and end up stuck appealing for the next few years.

They may not deny it but you need to think about your percentage rating. If you can't work due to MDD then you should apply for TDIU. MDD is on the scale of a psychotic disorder, so you should get at least 30%. If you have recently attempted suicide it would be more (not to encourage you). What meds do you take? What are your major symptoms? You may need an IMO/IME at some point if they low ball you. I had the DX of bipolar disorder and then MDD later on, so what matters is how the disorder affects your ability to socialize and work.

John

John

My doc's have told me that i need to quit doing the work that i do and its all ive done for the past 27 years, i got approved to go to school through the VA but had to postpone it because of my back and migraines, i can not sit or stand for more than twenty minutes at a time. I have been diagnosed with daily cervionic neadaches/migraines in which i take meds for and pain meds. My most recent mri states iv gotten worse and now i do not believe i could manage going to school because of sitting, standing and concentration due to headaches. I guess i should apply for TDIU but i guess its just the fact of realizing i cant work anymore, ive been a hard worker all my life and im one of those people that get pissed off when i hear an unemployed nonworking person who already has kids not paying child support and they are getting food stamps and assistance and they just dont want to work to find they are now having another baby that i and every other tax payer is paying for.

Any idea how long it takes to get TDIU? Dr. Bash has already given me an IME stating i should file for it.

"Any idea how long it takes to get TDIU? Dr. Bash has already given me an IME stating i should file for it."

File the 21-8940 as soon as you are officially unemployed.

Lots of info here regarding the TDIU form.

• HadIt.com Elder

Major Depressive Disorder is a psychotic disorder since it is a major mental disorder and incapacitates people. People who are severely depressed may hear voices. They may have delusions. They may have hallucinations. They may attempt suicide. A neurotic depression ( non-psychotic) is the one that is treated by a dose of prozac and the person gets back in the swing of things. Major depressions can last for months and can put a person flat on their back. Major depressives often abuse alcohol and may kill themselves by accident by mixing pills and alcohol. The person who reacts to some upset by staying in bed for three months has a major depression. The bipolar person often may go from a major depression to mania. They can be psychotic during depressed state or manic state. It can be a fine line according to some VA doctor but I have know quite a few very depressed people, and you know it when you see it and hear it.

John

If someone experiences any psychotic symptoms they are not because of depression there is a comorbid condition. Bipolar people during mania can experience psychotic episodes. That is NOT because of depression. They may also have a psychotic disorder. There are no psychotic symptoms for depression. If anything depression causes negative symptoms which is to say it does the opposite of what positive symptoms do which causes an excess of a common emotion or act.

Major Depressive Disorder is a psychotic disorder since it is a major mental disorder and incapacitates people. People who are severely depressed may hear voices. They may have delusions. They may have hallucinations. They may attempt suicide. A neurotic depression ( non-psychotic) is the one that is treated by a dose of prozac and the person gets back in the swing of things. Major depressions can last for months and can put a person flat on their back. Major depressives often abuse alcohol and may kill themselves by accident by mixing pills and alcohol. The person who reacts to some upset by staying in bed for three months has a major depression. The bipolar person often may go from a major depression to mania. They can be psychotic during depressed state or manic state. It can be a fine line according to some VA doctor but I have know quite a few very depressed people, and you know it when you see it and hear it.

John