VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wife Of Army Veteran Here

Rate this question

Bev.Choy

Question

Hello everyone :) Being new here, I'm not sure if this is the right place or not to be.

My husband and I have been married 9 years on the 17th of this month and we are still fighting with the VA for them to establish myself as my husbands wife. Because of a piece of paper dating back to '82 stating that my husband was "going through a divorce" instead of just breaking up with his girlfriend (there was no common law marriage), the VA has stated that they will not recognize me as his wife until they see a divorce or an annulment from his previous relationship. We have already had a lawyer check all state and county records and had him write to the VA that as there was no marriage, there can be no divorce or annullment.

The VA doesn't see it that way. When we appealed the denial, we didn't even get notification of when the appeal would be and so they denied our claim. We've done another NOD, but we're at a loss as to what to do or who to contact, besides the DAV.

Can anyone give advice or help us out here?

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome and your congressman/woman isn't likely to do any good. Myself and a few other Marines I know tried and it got nothing done.

“When we appealed the denial, we didn't even get notification of when the appeal would be and so they denied our claim. We've done another NOD, but we're at a loss as to what to do or who to contact, besides the DAV. “

Is the 100% SC your comp or his?

Is this a question of the dependents allowance not being added to the comp check?

Claimants usually don't ever “show up” for an appeal. It is all done on paper.

Are you able to scan and attach here the last decision received from VA?

Or tell us exactly how they worded the denial? And date of that denial?

(cover names c file number etc first)

“We have already had a lawyer check all state and county records and had him write to the VA that as there was no marriage, there can be no divorce or annullment. “

When was that? Did they (VA) in any way acknowledge receipt of that info?

Is the 100% SC your comp or his?++ Its my husbands

Is this a question of the dependents allowance not being added to the comp check?++ Yes. They will see me in the VA hospital and treat me for free, but they won't accept me on the financial side.

Claimants usually don't ever “show up” for an appeal. It is all done on paper.++ We were told by the DAV that they sometimes have TV interviews with judges in DC to make a decision on the matter.

Are you able to scan and attach here the last decision received from VA?++I could scan it but it's basically just saying that the commonlaw marriage to this other woman was recognized by the VA. They then said they had sent us a Statement of the Case and gave us 60 days to respond, but we never recieved it.

Or tell us exactly how they worded the denial? And date of that denial?++The denial is dated Jul 10, 2012.

(cover names c file number etc first)++C 23 194 203

“We have already had a lawyer check all state and county records and had him write to the VA that as there was no marriage, there can be no divorce or annullment. “

When was that? Did they (VA) in any way acknowledge receipt of that info?++This was done about 8 years ago and the VA said that was only good enough for state law, not federal (whatever that is to mean).

Welcome and your congressman/woman isn't likely to do any good. Myself and a few other Marines I know tried and it got nothing done.

We've decided to go to the senator, Ted Cruz to see if we get help. The congressman sent us a photocopy of the denial and they closed 'the case' :(

Hello everyone :) Being new here, I'm not sure if this is the right place or not to be.

My husband and I have been married 9 years on the 17th of this month and we are still fighting with the VA for them to establish myself as my husbands wife. Because of a piece of paper dating back to '82 stating that my husband was "going through a divorce" instead of just breaking up with his girlfriend (there was no common law marriage), the VA has stated that they will not recognize me as his wife until they see a divorce or an annulment from his previous relationship. We have already had a lawyer check all state and county records and had him write to the VA that as there was no marriage, there can be no divorce or annullment.

The VA doesn't see it that way. When we appealed the denial, we didn't even get notification of when the appeal would be and so they denied our claim. We've done another NOD, but we're at a loss as to what to do or who to contact, besides the DAV.

Can anyone give advice or help us out here?

I would obtain a letter from the county clerks office stating that there are no other marriages on record pertaining to your husband. have them put the county seal on it and send it back to the VAR and ask them to reconsider your previous denial.