VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Appt.

Rate this question

jeffs17

Question

I am 30% disabled, I am 20% left wrist chondromalacia and 10% right shoulder bursitis, I got the 10% for my shoulder after I had surgery in 2011, I got out in 03 sorry, I reinjured my shoulder in July of 2012, had to go through the VA hoops and do physical therapy before I could get a ortho appt, I lost ROM in my shoulder and had the therapy stopped per the physical therapist, finally had a MRI on the 6th of Dec, but still have not heard back from the doctor for the results, I am also filing a fully developed claim for my right knee during x-ray ordered by my VA doc they found oesto-arthritis and bone spurs in my knee and the therapist more than likely a meniscal tear, I have documentation during service of knee injury, so long story short (too late I know) I have my first mental health appt. tommorow to talk to them because my wife says my attitude has changed, and I know I have, just wondering if anybody knows what the first mental health appt. is like? Just wondering what to expect, thanks for your time

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You will probably go over family history, medical history, etc. so the therapist can get a baseline on your status. Then, the rest is up to you. Tell the therapist what your wife said and go from there.

take your spouse with you for help and support. Be truthful and tell about your worst days and not your best one. Never tell them you are fine. Dress normal and not like you were going to church or a party. If you don't feel like it don't even shave and comb your hair. Too late now but you should have stayed up all night so you would be having a bad day.

well appt. went just like you said, went over reason I was there, briefly over family history, I really did not mean to get emotional when I was there but when I was talking about not being able to run around with my kids and not being able to pick up my daughter and when my 3 yr old daughter asked me why I don't smile or laugh anymore I lost it, got prozac and ambien so I can sleep at night, she said since I have to sleep on the couch to keep from trapping my arm under my pillow or rolling over on it, maybe the ambien would knock me out quick so I could sleep, does not seem to be working that good, will tell her at next appt.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't dwell too much on anything that happened before the service. I would keep conversations to my pain and disability. If you go for mental health C&P exam do not talk about your childhood, or any thing pre-service. They will twist it around to find some other reason for your depression than your SC injuries. For instance, if you come from divorced family that is big target for source of depression. This would be non-service connected. I have been through this many times.

John