VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trigger - Dr. Peter J. N. Linnerooth, 1970–2013

carlie

Dr. Peter J. N. Linnerooth, 1970–2013

"Dr. Peter Linnerooth spent nearly five years wearing an Army uniform, including the bloodiest 12 months in Iraq at the height of the surge. As a mental-health professional, his top mission was to keep troops from killing themselves. After he returned home, he spent another two years trying to save the vets he loved, working for the VA in California and Nevada.

Few who wore the uniform in the nation’s post-9/11 wars better understood the perverse alchemy that can change the rush and glory of combat into a darkening cloud of anxiety, depression and posttraumatic stress. But strikingly, all that understanding — and the knowledge, education and firsthand experience that nurtured it — didn’t save Linnerooth.

“Pete struggled with PTSD and depression after his deployment to Iraq,” an Army comrade says. “Pete is a good example of how serving in combat can change someone. Pete was one of us,” he adds.

“He’s the first Army psychologist that I know who killed himself.”

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2013/01/11/dr-peter-j-n-linnerooth-1970-2013/#ixzz2Ij78lufp

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news......Terrible...........................the mind and the trauma of war can combine to be a weapon of self destruction.

I too read that the other day, and thought the same as you Berta. This is so wrong, and such a shame and loss for him and his family. May he rest in peace and find comfort from his terrors now. Saddens me thinking about him...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use