Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
USMCVet87

Starting Claim Process For Ptsd

Question

I am currently in the process for claiming compensation for PTSD. I filled out the VA 1010 form online and checked the box where it asked if I wanted an appt. with a Dr. I have an appt. at my local VA clinic and they (VA) sent me a appt. reminder paper,It says 10-10 clinic on it. I called the local clinic a couple days ago and asked the lady if they can do a c & p exam there and she stated yes they could but I might be referred to the VA hospital. Does this sound right ?

I should be receiving my private medical and mental health records anyday now. Do I need to fill out the VA 21-526 form now or do I wait til later ? I noticed on the form that they want a date of my disability for PTSD,how do you establish a disability date for PTSD ? Also should I take my private doctor records with me to this appoinment ? I hate to ask so any questions,but my VSO won't return my calls and he said he would take care of this. Thanks !

5 answers to this question

I am currently in the process for claiming compensation for PTSD. I filled out the VA 1010 form online and checked the box where it asked if I wanted an appt. with a Dr. I have an appt. at my local VA clinic and they (VA) sent me a appt. reminder paper,It says 10-10 clinic on it. I called the local clinic a couple days ago and asked the lady if they can do a c & p exam there and she stated yes they could but I might be referred to the VA hospital. Does this sound right ?

I should be receiving my private medical and mental health records anyday now. Do I need to fill out the VA 21-526 form now or do I wait til later ? I noticed on the form that they want a date of my disability for PTSD,how do you establish a disability date for PTSD ? Also should I take my private doctor records with me to this appoinment ? I hate to ask so any questions,but my VSO won't return my calls and he said he would take care of this. Thanks !

A VA form 1010 is solely to access VA health care benefits.

Until you submit a completed and signed (or on line thru VONAPP) VA form 21-526,

a claim for service connection and VA disability benefits, has not formally been submitted.

I suggest researching the Fully Developed Claims process prior to submitting the 21-526.

You can search for this at hadit.com

and / or the link below.

I feel the most important issue with claims is filing it RIGHT - the CORRECT way

from the get-go, this is of utmost importance.

JMHO

https://www.google.com/search?q=va+fully+developed+claims+process&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US503&aq=f&oq=va+fully+developed+claims+process&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j62l3j64.9879&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Editing to add -

C&P exams have to be scheduled by someone at the VARO.

That is not even done until quite a while after a formal claim is of record.

Ad

Thanks for the reply Carlie ! I have one question for you. I submitted the 21-526 online and where it asked the disability I was claiming I claimed PTSD. I went to my private psychiatrist back in June for an evaluation(90 minutes). I requested my mental health records here recently and received them the day after I filled out the 21-526 form and her diagnosis of me in AXIS 1 is mood disorder. Is this gonna be an issue since I claimed PTSD on the 21-526 form ? Should I submit her evaluation to my VARO or just wait til they schedule me for a C&P and let them do their diagnosis. Thanks again for your time and the reply ! My GAF on the evaluation she gave me is a 60.

Edited by USMCVet87

Don't forget, if you file FDC you must submit an 0781 with it I'd you don't have a conceded medal/ribbon. Otherwise you will be out of FDC. This is just an FYI for other readers. Sounds like you already filed the traditional route.

Yes I filed the traditional way. I have SWA service medal. By FDC do you mean the new fast track method?

Thanks for the reply Carlie ! I have one question for you. I submitted the 21-526 online and where it asked the disability I was claiming I claimed PTSD. I went to my private psychiatrist back in June for an evaluation(90 minutes). I requested my mental health records here recently and received them the day after I filled out the 21-526 form and her diagnosis of me in AXIS 1 is mood disorder. Is this gonna be an issue since I claimed PTSD on the 21-526 form ? Should I submit her evaluation to my VARO or just wait til they schedule me for a C&P and let them do their diagnosis. Thanks again for your time and the reply ! My GAF on the evaluation she gave me is a 60.

Did she review your SMR/STR's and or military records and state so in her evaluation ?

Did she opine any diagnosis of PTSD and what stressor event was at least as likely as not the cause,

and support the opinion with full medical rationale, other than patient reported history.

Can you scan / post, the exact eval. minus personal info such as doc's and your name, claim #,

address, etc . . .