VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraines In Connection To Ptsd (Va Claim)

Rate this question

usmc198121

Question

I am an OIF veteran that served from 2001-2005. I was recently diagnosed with PTSD and was awarded a rating through the VA. My first claim I did not claim many things because I was not very aware of the process or what was considered a "claimable issue". Over the years I have been getting migraines that get progressively worse and the doc that I see says that they believe it is directly related to the anxiety from my PTSD. I have been put on several medication and currently was provided blood pressure medication to ease my high heart rate and anxiety. The big question is how to I claim the migraines? Do I claim them "in connection with PTSD" or do I just claim it separate. I am just afraid I will get denied for them if I do not put in connection with PTSD because the migraines started after my second tour in Iraq and I got out about a month after that deployment. That being said there is no service records of my migraines. I appreciate any discussion this might generate.

Semper Fi

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am an OIF veteran that served from 2001-2005. I was recently diagnosed with PTSD and was awarded a rating through the VA. My first claim I did not claim many things because I was not very aware of the process or what was considered a "claimable issue". Over the years I have been getting migraines that get progressively worse and the doc that I see says that they believe it is directly related to the anxiety from my PTSD. I have been put on several medication and currently was provided blood pressure medication to ease my high heart rate and anxiety. The big question is how to I claim the migraines? Do I claim them "in connection with PTSD" or do I just claim it separate. I am just afraid I will get denied for them if I do not put in connection with PTSD because the migraines started after my second tour in Iraq and I got out about a month after that deployment. That being said there is no service records of my migraines. I appreciate any discussion this might generate.

Semper Fi

Welcome,

Please post what was stated in your rating decision that granted your PTSD,

minus personal info such as name, address, claim #, etc..

Post the part that is titled Reasons and Bases.

Below is what it stated:

1. Service connection for post traumatic stress disorder.

Service connection for post traumatic stress disorder has been established as directly related to

military service. Your lay testimony is adequate to establish occurrence of the claimed stressor

for post traumatic stress disorder, which is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances

of your Iraq, and Kuwait service.

We have assigned a 30 percent evaluation for your posttraumatic stress disorder based on:

• The examiner's assessment of your current mental functioning, which is partially reflected in

your Global Assessment of Function score found below.

• Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

• Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and

intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning

satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal)

• Anxiety

• Chronic sleep impairment

Your Global Assessment of Function (GAF) score is 54. A range of 51-60 indicates moderate

symptoms; or any moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning.

The overall evidentiary record shows that the severity of your disability most closely

approximates the criteria for a 30 percent disability evaluation.

A higher evaluation of 50 percent is not warranted unless there is occupational and social

impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as:

• Flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech;

• Panic attacks more than once a week;

• Difficulty in understanding complex commands;

• Impairment of short- and long-tem1 memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material,

forgetting to complete tasks);

• Impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking;

• Disturbances of motivation and mood;

• Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.

Well - they sure did not mention headaches at all.

Here's a link to a DBQ for Headaches.

I'd get my medical provider to fill it out and submit it with the claim.

Sounds like you might be thinking about claiming a few more issues.

Do them all at once along with the medical evidence.

Muscle-skeletal - everything at the same time, study FDC's

(fully developed claims) this might help shorten your time and have things

go right from the get-go.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960C-8-ARE.pdf