VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Info For 100% P&t And Tdiu Id Card Holders

I really don't know if this is just general knowledge I didn't know about BUT I thought I should share it anyway

As a disabled vet with a MWR (ID) Card you have access to legal (JAG) on any base in the world (depending on space avilable). We just recently found this out at our local airforce base. We didn't ask we just made an appointment and they agreed to see us. This includes legal assistance in civilian matters as well such as housing, wills, contracts etc. possibly even criminal (but they cannot represent you in a civilian court and would instead refer you to a civilian lawyer)

If the JAG section find they cannot help they can and will refer you to various pro bono civilian programs that can help (or to civilian counsel if your case is not taken by probono resources) . The military Pro Bono Project is one of these programs but you need a referral from JAG to participate. They are affiliated with the American Bar Association's Home Front program that provides free civilian legal counsel to military familes. If you have an ID card you qualify (with a refferral and depending on if your case is taken by there programs).

Though we have not needed to use the pro bono programs, JAG is currently helping us to resolve a bad mortgage problem with FHA and our mortgage company and doing a briliant job too I might add! :-).

So just a heads up that 100% disabled MWR cardholders have access to free legal (contingent upon space avilable).

Edited for clarity.

Edited by hawkfire27

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know if this is just general knowledge I didn't know about BUT I thought I should share it anyway

As a disabled vet with a MWR (ID) Card you have access to legal (JAG) on any base in the world. We just recently found this out at our local airforce base. We didn't ask we just made an appointment and they agreed to see us. This includes legal assistance in civilian matters as well such as housing, discrimination, criminal, defence etc.

If the JAG section find they cannot help they can and will refer you to various pro bono civilian programs that can help. The military Pro Bono Project is one of these programs but you need a referral from JAG to participate. They are affiliated with the American Bar Association's Home Front program that provides free civilian legal counsel to military familes. If you have an ID card you qualify (with a refferral).

Though we have not needed to use the pro bono programs, JAG is currently helping us to resolve a bad mortgage problem with FHA and our mortgage company and doing a briliant job to I might add! :-).

So just a heads up that MWR cardholders have access to free legal.

Thanks for the info.

Pleas provide any links you may have available.

Hey Carlie,

I don't have any links, I simply went in and showed my card and the JAG office told me this, "Yes you are eligible, If you have an ID you qualify" All I have found online about it is that retirees and there dependents as well as "certain other qualified people and their dependents" are eligible to recieve legal assitance through the JAG office based on space available. I did find some bases that specified they only had legal assistance availibility for active duty personnel at this time. So the best bet it is go in and ask at you local base. We went to Holloman AFB in New Mexico.

Edited by hawkfire27