VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Null

Rate this question

Silentshwan

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Silentshwan,

As a multiple myeloma patient, I would suggest you get an IMO from an oncologist/hematologist who specializes in multiple myeloma. Most oncologists/hematologists have some knowledge of multiple myeloma but they do not have a lot of multiple myeloma patients because it is not a very common cancer.

My local oncologist/hematologist diagnosed me with multiple myeloma in 2010. He had over 25 years experience but indicated that he had only treated a few cases of multiple myeloma. After doing some research and checking with charitable organizations involved in the research of multiple myeloma, I went to the Myeloma Institute of Research & Therapy in Little Rock, Arkansas in 2010. They confirmed my diagnosis. They now collaborate with my local oncologist/hematologist to make sure I receive the proper diagnostic tests and treatment. If you check out their website, you will find out they treat more patients for multiple myeloma than any other treatment center in the world.

The hadit website is a Godsend for veterans. One thing I learned from Berta (one of the most knowledgeable elders on Hadit) is to search BVA decisions for previous cases similar to your own. In just a few minutes of searching, I found the following BVA decision: Citation 0914019 dated 04/15/2009, docket #06-37 467. In this decision a veteran who had been discharged in August 1991 was not diagnosed with multiple myeloma until June 2005. There were no military medical records indicating the veteran had multiple myeloma. However, according to the BVA decision, the veteran's doctor, B.B., M.D.; provided an opinion in which he indicated the veteran's multiple myeloma had been developing while the veteran was in the military. The veteran succeeded in her claim. The doctor in this case is referred to as the Director of the Myeloma Institute of Research & Therapy. NOTE: Dr. Bart Barlogie is currently the Director of the Myeloma Institute of Research & Therapy and has been the director for over 20 years. I am certain the Dr. BB in this case is Dr. Bart Barlogie. You could probably find other decisions on the BVA search website citing opinions of Dr. BB. Again, I would make every effort to get an IMO from a doctor who specializes in the treatment of multiple myeloma such as Dr. Barlogie.

Good luck to you.

Georgiapapa...

Silentshwan,

Let me also add that the VA hospital in Little Rock is located within walking distance of the Myeloma Institute. I am not sure but I think someone told me that doctors at the Myeloma Institute may have some involvement with Myeloma patients at the Little Rock VA hospital. Again, I am not sure about this.

Dr. Barlogie is not my assigned doctor at the Myeloma Institute but I have talked to some of his patients while in the waiting rooms. All of them describe him as a compassionate and caring individual. Perhaps you could have your oncologist send him a letter explaining your circumstances and ask Dr. Barlogie if he would provide you with an IMO. In the BVA decision, his medical opinion carried enough weight with the BVA for a veteran who had been discharged for 14 years to win their claim. In your case, you are only talking about a few months so it should be less difficult to show a nexus. Just something to think about. No matter what, don't give up.

Georgiapapa...