VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Defoliant/herbicide Exposure Of Cold War Vets In Germany

Rate this question

shotgun05381

Question

Hello,

I am a veteran and have been researching a topic that I am unable to find much information on. As a Military Policeman assigned to Physical Security at a N-H site in Germany we were exposed to areas that wwere treated with defoliants and herbicides. Twenty-five years after returning these sites to German control, ther is still little vegetation growing on site. We were routinely in reventments underground heating pipe runs, barns and otherwise facedown in the dirt during readiness testing and training. Since Germany has been known to manufacture several of the dangerous toxins associated with these types of chemicals and have followed the US in banning those associated with Agent Orange, I am wondering if anyone has asked for or recieved a complete accounting of what dangerous chemicals we were exposed to on these sites.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Complete accounting? You have got to be kidding! The fight is still going on about conus locations.

Actually, I'd think that the German government's data might be more reliable than anything from our military.

How to get it is another story.

I have some interest in this, since I was in Germany for about five years, working at a now closed USAFB.

I was more worried about depleted Uranium, since we supported A/C that were routinely deploying to and returning from the "sand box".

Although the rounds were supposedly not in Germany, there were some, and returning A/C cannon were "decontaminated".

The base I worked on is now a civil airfield and an industrial park.

I too, would be interested in knowing more about this topic. There was a large area behind the motor pool where we used to test tanks, M113's, etc, after repairs were made on them. That area never had a blade of grass, a weed, nor anything green on it.(not because of driving on it; we stayed on a path) This was in 1965-1968 in Fulda. I developed a shortness of breath while I was still in Germany, at 20 yrs old. I was a mechanic, used a lot of carbon tet, and other cleaning chemicals, didn't think about the AO connection. I filed a claim, but was denied, blamed on cig smoking. Claim went to BVA,also denied. I haven't done anything with that yet. Anyone got anything to help?? Thanks and thanks for your service.

Buddy