VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Power Of Attorney- What The Crap!?!

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I am so confused. David (Rockman passed away on 09/02/12 and I filed for my DIC on 10/26/12 & the Va Nashville received the claim on 11/02/12. A couple of weeks ago I received a letter stating that they were still processing my claim. I thought well- I should be awarded my long due DIC, but knew that I did have to deal with getting it in "VA's time frame"! So, now I will have more retro and that is a good thing.

Now it comes to today. I called the State VSO for them to check on how it was going and he looked it up. He said that it had something about Power of Attorney and was he was not sure. He was going to fax over to then everything and then call them. He was going to have them simply walk it over to them & give it to them. He asked if I had called the 800#-WOW- I asked him politely if he had ever called the 800 Peggy girl. He confirmed that he had and knew what I meant. I told him that it was like calling the Social Security Office. He said that he would call me back. Do I need some oxygen while I keep holding my breath??

The only Power of Attorney that I can find is when I signed the VA 10-0137- VA Advance Directive Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Living Will. Am I totally hung out to dry?? I am so upset that I cannot see straight.

If anyone can help-I would appreciate it so much! God Bless!!

Celia

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just an update, I did call my POA, but had to leave a message. I will keep calling until they can tell me if I did sign the new form. They are not the most prompt in returning your calls. Thanks everyone for my not so smart question. I guess because I am anxious for monies to start coming in, I get a little wacky and worry too much. I am better now though.

Celia

Just an update-

I finally got a hold of my TN VSO today. I asked him about the Fast letter 12-16 and he said that I had signed it and he had signed it. He is supposed to send me a copy for my records tomorrow. I do not remember signing one, but it is very possible that I did. I do not remember much at that time. I normally can remember signing things. At least I should get one for my files.

Thanks everyone for your replys for my ridiculous questions!

Celia, Mrs. R

• HadIt.com Elder

You know in my original claim I do not remember ever signing a POA, nor who represented me. This was 1972 and I was in the VAMC hospital for 10 days. I had many POA's including VFW who argued that even though I had bone fide mental health condition my real problem was that I had a personality disorder. The best POA I ever had was the Red Cross who represented me at my Discharge Review Hearing back in the 70's. If you can do it yourself just do it, or hire a lawyer if you can't.

You know, I never knew the Red Cross was a POA. You learn something new every day. If I get the signed copy, the I will be okay.

I am getting ready to do a medical POA for me and a non-medical one so that I am covered. I will have more than one to sign it, since our daughter does not live in town. I have relatives that are going to help me draw them up.

Celia

Celia ....I think you might want to consider a lawyer...if you mean by Medical POA...a Health care proxy. Because a lawyer can do that when they write up a will.

The POA we sign with vet reps is only for VA claims purposes.

My doctor does a Medicare checklist with me every year.

She needed a copy of my health care proxy for that and my organ donor thing.

I am sure your relatives will help you....but .in my case it was easier to get my lawyer to handle all that.

I didnt know I had so many relatives, until my accrued claim and DIC retro came...

The mailman even told a neighbor I had gotten a big check from the VA. I had asked him to just be on look out for a VA check I expected because the PO had lost one (burial money) once and this was the first VA check I expected after Rod had been dead for 3 years. (accrued award-I had to fight that claim)

my husband wasn't even cold yet when a neighbor tried to borrow money from me.They had gotten my husband's life insurance bill by mistake in the mail and opened it--so they knew I was waiting for those proceeds.

It is a time to be very cautious....

VERY Cautious.

Berta,

We both had wills drawn up, but even though it stipulates things when one or both of us passes, it would be a good idea to go on and have a new will drawn up. Our local attorney is the one who did our wills and it would be easier if he did it all at once. One stop shopping with someone you know who is knowledgeable is a good idea- thanks for the suggestion. Until you mentioned it, I had not thought about getting the organ donor info in writing.

That postman should have been hung up to dry, for anything he delivers is supposed to be confidential. After your 3 years, I am sure you were not a very happy camper to say the least.

As far as your neighbor is concerned that wanted to borrow money from you....I cannot really say my thoughts and response to this on paper... Rest assured I did say words out loud after I read your post.

I know once relatives and even friends (and now I really would not call them "friends") know about any monies that they may think you have received or may receive, they just come out from nowhere!! I keep everything to myself. Yes, Berta, I am being cautious, for at this time you cannot trust people.

I have called ID that also announces who is calling. When the phone rings, I always look at who is calling. If I do not know who the person is, I simply will not answer the phone. Today I got a call and did not know who they were, so I let it go to voicemail. When I heard them leaving a message, then I found out it was the company that will be handling our company's merchant services. Then I was able to answer and take the call. I am always getting Realty company calls. The #1 caller is Rachel from Credit Card Services. Rachel is busy, for she calls for many many different companies ( or may I put it like it really is-"Scam Artist").

I am watching and I know widows are prime targets and I do not want to be another statistic!

Thanks Berta and I know you know where I am coming from.

Celia