VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

The organization is in the crapper, in Jan 2012 I received a letter that I may be set up for my 1st C&P after 15 years at 100%, I called DAV and got a SO, he told me "many vets received those letters, it was a computer generated letter and it was sent out by mistake, don't worry about it" 2 months go by, it's now March I call again (at least they were answering the phone) I'm told that the VSO checked and it was a mistake. I call again in late May of 2012, just double checking, "once again the VSO says nothing to worry about you will not get a C&P" On June 3rd I take off to my sisters house for 2.5 weeks- on June 6th a letter from the VA saying that I was being set up for a C&P, the VA Medical Center would set me up, on the 9th the letter came for an appt. on the 19th. I got home on the 21st, almost had a heart attack, called the VA hospital and DAV (they were away at a conference) finally get in touch with them on the 27th or 28th, told to write a letter explaining what happened. For the next 2 months I'm told their will be no C&P, they will decide next week.

September comes and I have a C&P on the 13th, C&P shows that things have gotten worse in the last 15 years (35 years with Diabetes Type 1) it's to be expected, now the phone calls to DAV remain unanswered, when someone does pick up the phone it's the receptionist, no VSO response finally I'm told that everything will be decided in Nov., nothing happens except part of the claim is shipped to Lincoln, NE and then it is shipped back 21 days later closed. The compensation claim still rolls on, DAV still does not call, I go down there in Feb. 2013 and the DAV SO tells me they won't even look at my claim till late March.

So from March until July the only way I get any news is from the 1-800 #, finally frustrated as hell I go down to the DAV office (it's located in the RO in Manhattan) the place is empty just me and another vet, and we are told we now need an appt. I'm pissed so I go over to the RO office across the hall and learn that by showing up and asking I get moved from Prep to Pending and was told the rating will be in next week (it might have helped that my Congressmen called last month also)

DAV took my lifetime money in 1986 and delivered good results in the 90's, but it seems to be a totally different place now.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its the same place, The people are different, names have changed to protect the innocent.

The people are only as good as their training. Unfortunately, they use the buddy system. Not a concentrated effort to get the best, just the Buddy of another person.

That causes what we have now. A totally messed up situation with lost and confused prople driving the bus.

J

vet2010 on my experience there are very little VSOs, if you are going to use them for this, that know more than a person who doesn't. I can seriously say that after talking with two VSO with the State of Florida, one about 2 months ago and one just today on the phone, they don't know a lot. They go by a standard pretemplate on writing up claims, they really don't study the Fed Code and CFR. They might have a copy of the M21 on their desk but that is about it. Example: I asked the first one, two months ago, about the 5 year protection on VA ratings, his reply was "There is no 5 year protection only a 10 and 20." I come home and find there is a 5 year protection. I knew then that it was best for me to learn this stuff instead of relying on other people.

Its really not hard and all the answers are on the internet and the Veteran's Benefit Manual. Not the one the VA sends you each year but the Legal VBM which can be purchased on from lexisnexus or even amazon...

Hear-Hear,

Greg88, Valsacar, Stretch, rpowell

All good descriptions and testimonials of the lack of representation being provided by DAV. Had better progress on my own dealing with the VA machine. At least VA has to speak to me rather than to someone that won't return calls, have the time to meet with us or be resentful that my rating is higher than theirs. I would ask for my money back, but if .02 cents of it goes to disabled veterans then I would not take that back so, goodbye DAV and have fun spending those life time dues.

PS I did ask them to stop sending that bogus propaganda magazine... Give that money to the vets.

Hello folks. My Husband Served in the Army and Navy. My Dad served in the Army. My son served in the Navy. My husband is a member of the DAV. Since he has been a member for 4 yrs I have seen the state members which Ironiclly are the Trustees take down at least 4 chapters which actually was helping Veterans in every aspect of the word. I seen them pay bills for buy food for the vets in need. I seen them Donate monies to the rest home for Veterans. Then the trustees took over and took the monies and their buildings. Why? GREED. Where do they learn this? NATIONAL. National always has enough Monies for all the Building to stay open and help the Homeless Vets. So why don't they do that? Again GREED. They are closing down building left and right. Why? For the Monies. GREEd is the doorway to all evilness. DAV needs to do what they preach.

Guest terrysturgis

Last all I received from a DAV NSO in Detroit was when he was trying to recruit me to be a volunteer Service Officer. He said I did a good job helping them with my claim. He didn't know that I know Berta Simmons and she is the one who helped me dot the I's and cross the T's.

I am a Life member of DAV and VFW.