VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

To broncovet -

I agree! New to this whole VA,VSO quagmire I have been astounded by almost everything I have learned, witnessed and read about so far. How dare the VA treat any Vet with such contempt?

I had been retired from the military for 15 years when I accidentally learned "I may be entitled to some" VA benefits. I still remember the VA representative at the retirement out-processing briefing telling a room full of soon to be retirees, "Don't expect anything from the VA. You served long enough to retire and you will be compensated for that." Didn't think twice about it; I was proud to have served. As far as most of us knew, the VA was some bad place that a G.I. ended up at by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and maybe missing body parts and worse suffering in some governmental hospital where no one cared. Visited a view VA Hospitals on Veteran's Day during my career.

Fast FWD - 15 years later, seeking VA medical care was denied , "You're not in the system" What??? Then, my military retirement put me over some income threshold.

Someone told me to fill out some forms I had never heard of. Months went by and I was assigned above a 50% rating over a year later (imagine the amount I had missed out on over the course of 15 years because of the VA briefer). Had a lot of questions and went to my 1st appt at the VA CBOC. Was told some guy from DAV could help. Wondered why I even needed someone outside the VA to help; sounded ridiculous! Talked with the guy that was there (that day) anyway and was assured DAV would make sure I got all I was entitled to. The catch was I needed to sign a Power of Attorney. Now, we all now that is serious business; anyone fit for duty enough to be deployable has been briefed on that.

Signed the POA, paid DAV the lifetime dues and finally dropped them like a hot rock. The red light came on in the beginning when they asked for a POA, but I had been catapulted back to a point in time where G.I.'s took care of each other. DAV is not the same; they may have never been G.I.'s.

My question is simply this,"Is the VA so untrustworthy to veterans that we must seek non-VA representation and counsel"? And, if so, what can we do about it. But furthermore, are VSO's also so untrustworthy that they would deceive a veteran into paying for a membership, signing a POA and then do nothing to help the veteran as they promised they would? DAV has put a bad taste in my mouth and I will not sign another POA with anyone; think about it before you do!

Edited by relpats

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone has the righht to signa power of attorney and also add one little sentence: I Joe Veteran, retain the right to make any final decisions regarding this representation, and claims issues with the Dept Of Veterans affairs.

J

Anyone has the righht to signa power of attorney and also add one little sentence: I Joe Veteran, retain the right to make any final decisions regarding this representation, and claims issues with the Dept Of Veterans affairs.

J

Thanks that's what I was thinking just hadn't heard it yet in this particular forum.

Ooh Rah

KC

To broncovet -

I agree! New to this whole VA,VSO quagmire I have been astounded by almost everything I have learned, witnessed and read about so far. How dare the VA treat any Vet with such contempt?

I had been retired from the military for 15 years when I accidentally learned "I may be entitled to some" VA benefits. I still remember the VA representative at the retirement out-processing briefing telling a room full of soon to be retirees, "Don't expect anything from the VA. You served long enough to retire and you will be compensated for that." Didn't think twice about it; I was proud to have served. As far as most of us new, the VA was some bad place that a G.I. ended up at by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and maybe missing body parts and worse suffering in some governmental hospital where no one cared. Visited a view VA Hospitals on Veteran's Day during my career.

Fast FWD - 15 years later, seeking VA medical care was denied , "You're not in the system" What??? Then, my retirement put me over some income threshold.

Someone told me to fill out some forms I had never heard of. Months went by and I was assigned above a 50% rating over a year later (imagine the amount I had missed out on over the course of 15 years because of the VA briefer). Had a lot of questions and went to my 1st appt at the VA CBOC. Was told some guy from DAV could help. Wondered why I even needed someone outside the VA to help; sounded ridiculous! Talked with the guy that was there (that day) anyway and was assured DAV would make sure I got all I was entitled to. The catch was I needed to sign a Power of Attorney. Now, we all now that is serious business; anyone fit for duty enough to be deployable has been briefed on that.

Signed the POA, paid DAV the lifetime dues and finally dropped them like a hot rock. The red light came on in the beginning when they asked for a POA, but I had been catapulted back to a point in time where G.I.'s took care of each other. DAV is not the same; they may have never been G.I.'s.

My question is simply this,"Is the VA so untrustworthy to veterans that we must seek non-VA representation and counsel"? And, if so, what can we do about it. But furthermore, are VSO's also so untrustworthy that they would deceive a veteran into paying for a membership, signing a POA and then do nothing to help the veteran as they promised they would? DAV has put a bad taste in my mouth and I will not sign another POA with anyone; think about it before you do!

Answer to your first question is Yes, but it's very dependent on how your DAV rep is, heard good and bad. My guy I initially had did nothing squat, the application was even wrong LOL. Just went to another one. That has helped to at least calm my nerves. I do believe that most are VETS but its the same old attitude from some: I got mine, I'm worst than you why do you need disability? Or you work got a decent job what you applying for. As for the membership, it serves its purpose to some degree dependent on how much you travel and where you shop. But I believe by the end of the day I'll get my moneys worth in some shape or fashion. With that good luck with everything and God Bless

Here's an example of a good DAV Representative

aggie54

aggie54

E-3 Seaman

• default_large.png
  • Seaman
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 28 posts
  • Service Connected Disability: 90%
  • Branch of Service: USMarines/USA Retired

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thank you for the info Berta.

No, I'm not employed, I haven't worked since I was injured in the Military back in 2007, but I didn't retire from the Military until 2010, I was at home sick trying to recover.

I also received my Social Security about 6 months after I retired due to my service connected injuries.

Like I said, I received 90% and 6 other contentions were deferred to include TDIU which I added to my claim after I was rated at 90%, they didn't even suggest that I apply, but

my DAV rep told me to fill out the request and submit it and so the VA added it as one of my deferred issues.

I hope I made sense Berta.

Thank you Berta for all the help you give us Veterans, and may god bless you.

Aggie

The DAV is good for providing transportation to and from medical appointments. Also, an anonymous donor paid for my lifetime membership.

The bad-took 6 months for the DAV to reply to my request for assistance...I was homeless at the time. The DAV chapter in ABQ brought a mobile van to my town, took the information and names of veterans in need of assistance with their claims . Once they left, they never returned my phone calls after repeated calls to their office. I had to drop them as POA because what good is there having a POA if you can never speak with them? They told my sister that she did not have a chance to win her IU claim, so she proceded without their assistance and was awarded 100%. I appreciate the free rides, but I would not use them for anything else.