VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety Secondary To Ptsd?

Rate this question

usmc198121

Question

I am SC for PTSD and was told that I should claim anxiety secondary to PTSD. Does anyone know if that is a true statement. I mean anxiety is a large part of PTSD so why would I be able to claim anxiety secondary to it?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I am SC for PTSD and was told that I should claim anxiety secondary to PTSD. Does anyone know if that is a true statement. I mean anxiety is a large part of PTSD so why would I be able to claim anxiety secondary to it?

You only receive comp for ONE mental health (MH) condition.

Most of them are co - morbid.

What is your current evaluation for PTSD ?

I am currently 30% awaiting an appeal. I didn't think I would be able to, but this guy was pretty sure of him self. Said that he claimed both.

I am currently 30% awaiting an appeal. I didn't think I would be able to, but this guy was pretty sure of him self. Said that he claimed both.

Whatever MH disability that warrants SC is all rolled into one and compensated at the

highest level supported by the medical evidence of record.

I guarantee you he is not in receipt of

SC - PTSD at XX percent

SC - anxiety at XX percent.

It just doesn't work that way.

For Example mine is rolled up into one.

My medical description reads:
Post traumatic stress disorder, PTSD with Depressive Disorder, (also claimed as Bi-polar disorder) 70%

An examination will be scheduled at a future date to evaluate the severity of your service connected PTSD, with depressive disorder, (also claimed as bi-polar disorder).

Note: if you wish, please complete enclosed VA form 21-8940 "Vet Application for increased compensation based on unemployability"..

Your overall or combined rating is 70%. We do not add the individual percentages of each condition to determine your combined rating. We use a combined rating table that considers the effect from the most serious to the least serious conditions.

-----

I also have sleep apnea, so they added that to this mental condition. But remember, when they add things, it is not simple math. They take the highest number and use it as the base. then they take the other numbers and divide them by three.. so my 70 + 50 = 90...

If they medically retire me from my job, I suppose I will do the 21-8940 to increase my pay, but I will cross that hurdle when I get there.

For Example mine is rolled up into one.

My medical description reads:

Post traumatic stress disorder, PTSD with Depressive Disorder, (also claimed as Bi-polar disorder) 70%

An examination will be scheduled at a future date to evaluate the severity of your service connected PTSD, with depressive disorder, (also claimed as bi-polar disorder).

Note: if you wish, please complete enclosed VA form 21-8940 "Vet Application for increased compensation based on unemployability"..

Your overall or combined rating is 70%. We do not add the individual percentages of each condition to determine your combined rating. We use a combined rating table that considers the effect from the most serious to the least serious conditions.

-----

I also have sleep apnea, so they added that to this mental condition. But remember, when they add things, it is not simple math. They take the highest number and use it as the base. then they take the other numbers and divide them by three.. so my 70 + 50 = 90...

If they medically retire me from my job, I suppose I will do the 21-8940 to increase my pay, but I will cross that hurdle when I get there.

Iam the same as you for all the mental disorders, just add the mst to mine. as you know i got 100% (you know i have it bad) plus P&T. all combined... i put in for the increase with unemployability. You need to have some good medical note from your pcp from the va plus IMO would help as well. I had to dot all eyes and cross all t's .... do you get ssd that helped me as well.