VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obtaining Letter From Va Verifying Receipt Of Dic Benefits?

georgiapapa

Question

During recent contact with my local property tax office, I discovered that my 91 year old mother would be entitled to an exemption on all of her property taxes if she could provide a letter from the VA showing she was receiving DIC benefits from the VA as a result of her first husband being killed in action in World War II. Georgia law states that the unremarried spouse of a military service member killed in action is entitled to a 100% exemption on the property taxes on their home and up to 10 acres of land.

At first I was not sure if she was entitled to the property exemption because she had remarried after her first husband was killed. However, her second husband (my father) died in 1971 and she again became eligible for VA benefits (DIC, Champva) from her first husband. Even my local tax office supervisor was not sure if my mother qualified for the 100% exemption since she had remarried but she contacted the Georgia Department of Revenue who confirmed my mother was qualified if she could provide documentation from the VA verifying the current receipt of DIC benefits. To qualify for the 100% exemption for 2013, she must provide the documentation to the tax office no later than April 1st of the year she is claiming the exemption.

Based on my own personal experience with the Atlanta VARO, I do not think my chances are good of obtaining a letter from the Atlanta VARO verifying her DIC benefits prior to April 1st.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get the needed documentation for my mother by the April 1st deadline?

I can go on Ebenefits and print up various benefit letters (AB8, AB3, etc.)

QUESTION: Is there a website for veteran's survivors to go online and print up VA benefit verification letters?

My mother has been entitled to the property tax exemption for years but she and I never knew it. I would like for her to receive the 100% exemption as soon as possible, hopefully this year.

Georgiapapa...

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
During recent contact with my local property tax office, I discovered that my 91 year old mother would be entitled to an exemption on all of her property taxes if she could provide a letter from the VA showing she was receiving DIC benefits from the VA as a result of her first husband being killed in action in World War II. Georgia law states that the unremarried spouse of a military service member killed in action is entitled to a 100% exemption on the property taxes on their home and up to 10 acres of land.

At first I was not sure if she was entitled to the property exemption because she had remarried after her first husband was killed. However, her second husband (my father) died in 1971 and she again became eligible for VA benefits (DIC, Champva) from her first husband. Even my local tax office supervisor was not sure if my mother qualified for the 100% exemption since she had remarried but she contacted the Georgia Department of Revenue who confirmed my mother was qualified if she could provide documentation from the VA verifying the current receipt of DIC benefits. To qualify for the 100% exemption for 2013, she must provide the documentation to the tax office no later than April 1st of the year she is claiming the exemption.

Based on my own personal experience with the Atlanta VARO, I do not think my chances are good of obtaining a letter from the Atlanta VARO verifying her DIC benefits prior to April 1st.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get the needed documentation for my mother by the April 1st deadline?

I can go on Ebenefits and print up various benefit letters (AB8, AB3, etc.)

QUESTION: Is there a website for veteran's survivors to go online and print up VA benefit verification letters?

My mother has been entitled to the property tax exemption for years but she and I never knew it. I would like for her to receive the 100% exemption as soon as possible, hopefully this year.

Georgiapapa...

I would FAX a letter signed by her to the RO requesting the required letter. You could also drive her to the RO, so she can personally request and pickup the letter. That is something that is really simple to get, if she goes there in person. I also believe that widows receiving DIC receive a letter each yr stating what their new rate will be, which may also meet the requirement(s). She could also provide them with her first marriage cert, his death cert, showing when/where he died, and the death cert of the last husband. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Besides that, Georgia is quite rigid concerning the deadline. A large expensive problem for disabled veterans is created when the VA takes years to decide a claim. There is no way to recoup the property taxes paid for years that retroactive pay covers.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just call the 1 800 number and ask them to have them to send a letter telling she is in recipt of DIC benefits. No big deal. It doesn't have to come from the Atlanta RO any Call center will do.

J

Thats right. She should be receiving those letters every January.

I got mine 2 weeks ago and will need it for my Property tax exemptions.and for my income tax lady.

If you have any problems getting that letter please contact the Office of Survivors VA . Their email addy should be here in the DIC forum somewhere.and is also at the main VA web site.

Scott, the man who handles these issues is FABULOUS.

They dont handle any claims questions but can cut through reds tape sometimes on other survivors issues.

I am surprised she didnt get this annual benefit letter on DIC from the VA by now.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Berta, My mother told me she can't find anything in her papers regarding her DIC payments but I am going to go through all of papers today to see if I can locate the documents we need.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help.

Georgiapapa...