VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Registry Results-Got A Letter From Va-What Next?

Rate this question

semperfam

Question

Hey folks-

New to the forum, here. USMC retiree, currently at 70% disability, 60% for compensation. I have not had much difficulty with claims and such after reading all the posts-it's been pretty cut and dry for me and I've gotten fantastic service @ VA.

However, I have been struggling with chronic fatigue, joint pain, rash, memory loss, etc since Persian Gulf (also did OIF). I told the Gulf War rep @ my VA, and he said I needed to do a GW Registry Exam. I did. I just got a letter back from the VA that states:

"The examination is complete. Based on this exam we found:

Following conditions which have been found to be presumptively secondary to Gulf War Service: Undiagnosed illnesses to possibly include fatigue, joint pain, rash, and shortness of breath."

My question is, what does this mean? I understand a bit about the presumptive conditions listed by the VA and I guess this falls under chronic, multisymptom undiagnosed illness (I don't have a diagnosis and have been to so many Dr's I lose count). I am assuming I need to file a claim for these presumptive conditions-but do I have to prove service connection now, or did this letter just do it for me? What happens next?

Appreciate any advice you can throw my way. I just don't want my claim to be screwed up. Thanks.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, me too, how can I get an exam?

Go to the VA at this address: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/registry_exam.asp then click on the Environmental Health Coordinator link near the top. It will take you to all the VA Gulf War environmental coordinators in all states with their email address and phones numbers at the Hospitals. Call the coordinator directly to set up your GW registry exam I did it that way and had no issues at all. Also see the attached VA borchure it will help too. JM

Here is the direct link to the registry coordinators: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/coordinators.asp

registry-evaluation-brochure1.pdf

Edited by manning01

I did the gulf war exam, but they never sent me anything abt the results. I will follow up asap.

just check my reason for denial and they said no in service medical records of claimed condition/.

I thought being a gulf war vet, that was a presumptive condition,(joint pain ), and I did not need to have in service medical records, only a current diagnosis , which I reported to the gulf war registry examiner, and my primary doc.

What must gulf war vets do? bend over and show them a scud missle sticking out of our arse?

Edited by 63SIERRA

what really riles me though is they suck us in on the premise to diagnose and help us, but the big picture is that the govt really wants to track the effects of thier " experiment". thats what the gulf war was. they had never tested alot of the weapons and systems until that war. The depleted uranium dust will kill many, many veterans, and they are tracking it, for thier own reasons, but not so much to help us. I read somewhere that the govt of brittain was so sure the toxins were killing thier gulf war vets, they gave each and every one who wanted a comprehensive chelatian detox program, and a hefty monetary comp package. I saw a guy at the va hospital a few days ago, he looked really sick and old for his age. like he was poisoned, and it scared the heck out of me. I didnt question him but could see he was really struggling. Ever wonder why some vets have priority in the va healthcare system, sometimes I wonder if it is because of the tracking they do, to see whos croaking first.

I have to say the Gulf war issues a fairly scary to say the least. I know I was healthy before my tour, and since then I have had issue after issue manifest itself. It is going to be a hard battle to get the VA to acknowledge but as I have found out and from advice here, when these symptoms manifest themselves go to the doctor, whether private or VA, start the paper trail. Get the registry exam done, and make sure you obtain any and every record, private or what not, that has documented these symptoms. As I am starting to find out, this one specific clusters of symptoms and illnesses, is going to be a daisy to connect, however, use the regs and your medical evidence, against them. They will deny and try to come up with some excuse that it is not service related, but you are just going to have to politely, ram the regs in their face. I am not going to sugar coat this, it is definitely a fight, and it will be a long one.

So while I have mentioned that it's scary with regards to Gulf War issues, I received some interesting results from my Gulf War Registry examination. My Hemoglobin AIC was out of range 5.9 on high side. My lungs showed hypo inflation with resultant bronchovascular crowding. No confluent air space opacification, pneumothorax, or pleural effusion. Scoliotic curvature of the thoracic spine. Degenerative changes of the distal thoracic and upper lumbar spine. Left sided aortic arch. Im still waiting on the full results because the labs have not come back yet. I am curious as how this will help my claims. More importantly I am getting this information to my private doc and to my VA PCP.

Edited by arng11