VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going After Our Cola

I just read on standup4vets.org a politican has introduced a bill to "round down" on our compensation and/or DIC payments when the yearly quota is figured each year. He proposed it would save millions we are paying to our veterans. So there you have it folks, guarding the coffers once again. Supposedly the DAV is on top of this and opposing it. Read it at standup4vets.org.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indyman,

I heard the same story on the radio. If my recollection is correct, there were two bills introduced in the house by Rep. John Runyan of New Jersey. Both bills rounded down the Cola computation. I may be wrong but I think the bill numbers were 569 & 570.

Georgiapapa...

You are correct. The first part of the bills was to make it automatic raise for the disabled vets and DIC receivers. But, if the think about it, its automatic anyway. The second half of the bills would be the part about rounding down. I read them, and they don't have much strength or popularity. I can not understand how a veteran getting SC at 50% and on social security is rounded down on one COLA and rounded up on the other. Its stupid.

Wow what else is new just anouther way they stick it to us veterans. First they went for the federal employees freezing pay, furlough threats, hit in retirement etc and our brothers and sisters in uniform/retired with Tricare increases, BRAC, reduction in force broken promises etc. Now they coming for us to help save the whole mess they created. Nice job I'll remember this next time I vote.

• HadIt.com Elder

To add insult to injury, the method used to establish a COLA percentage deliberately understates the actual increase in COL.

It's even below the numbers used by the government to calculate the increased cost of items to be procured in following years.

This is deliberate, and some decades ago, congress approved changes that resulted in the current method's "low balling" the COL number.

Depending on how you figure it, the current formula may understate the actual COL change by as much as 100%.

Numbers I see every day make the actual change at or above 3%, not the current 1.7%. If you look at the costs of things the average person

would be spending both discretionary and non discretionary on, it's even worse, and might reach say 10%

(Fuel, Food, Medical, Tax, and so forth)