• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

•  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  
john999

My Apnea

I have been trying for weeks to get to see a doctor at my VAMC about my apnea. I got a consult from my shrink and that was cancelled because the sleep center was refusing to see me until they got my private doctor's records to show apnea. My PCP got involved and told me to fax her the records and she would make the appointment. I faxed her the records and sleep study and the sleep dept. says they cannot get them from her. Then one of the sleep doctors wants a fax of all my records. No one will cooperate with anyone else and I am wondering why I need proof of apnea before they will see me to evaluate my apnea. I am not filing a claim. I just want treatment options and the VA is refusing to treat or even see me. Where do I go from here besides the patient advocate. I spoke to the advocate today and they are talking next week about calling me back but I don't believe them 100%.

Ad

John I'm so sorry the Tampa VAMC sleep clinic is being such an ass with you, You're 100% right they really should see you with just a referral from your PCP' I would saynext go to the local paper and tell them your story however we all know how vindictive the VA can be. So I would try to get an appt to see the VAMC Administrator, or if you have family or friends in another state near a VAMC you could try them to get the study. JMHO!

Good Luck Rich!mad.gif

If the patient's advocate does not resolve the situation, and you feel it is a 'patient safety' issue, then by all means contact the VA Office of Inspector General and tell them exactly what you told us here and how this is affecting your sleep apnea disability and any other SC disabilities you have.

This topic,at some point, took an odd turn and the veteran followed my advise and got the OIG to react in a heartbeat.

This BS should not happen. VA passes the buck these days to minimize care and they should not get away with it.

This doesn't regard a claim, as you stated, and OIG doesn't get involved with claims.

If you or anyone out there has an issue that the Inspector General would deem an issue of PT safety then that is the place to contact, if the patient's advocate cannot resolve it. .

I made another suggestion to, to the vet in this topic link, but he didnt need to contact the VA media room at all.

Last time I contacted the VA media room, I got some fast results. They shit when they think we will go to the media.

Going to media,in my opinion, however should be reserved for situations that no one at the VA is willing to resolve.

Like a situation here in a small newspaper in NY 2 years ago.When some of us NY advocates read the story we took action fast.

I called VACO, the vet's POA rep and got on the VA in every way I could.I am sure other advocates here in NY ,who contacted me about the story , did the same.

The vet's comp was not only restored, they awarded him for his new claim and sent him Mega retro.

If he had not gone to a small locale paper, he would still have Nada from the VA and probably be homeless by now.

As with the above TBI vet in the link, I cant determine how the OIG will react if you contact them.

Hopefully the patient advocate can resolve this. I don't see why not.

It might pay to see if they have a recent audit done of your VAMC which might reveal similiar concerns occuring at that VAMC,if you complain to the OIG .

All of their audits and investigations are on line at the VA OIG site.

Edited by Berta