VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Service Connected Award Received December, Suspended In January?

Rate this question

TripleDeuce10thMTN

Question

After a long stressful wait during the slow claims process, I was awarded 100% Service Connected Disability and received my retroactive payment and the first monthly payment in December 2012. PRAISE GOD! I thought the long battle was won... I was then disappointed to discover no January payment so with several calls to the helpline, no idea what the problem was, give it another month they said...no February payment either. By this time my wife and I are checking ebenefits and calling the helpline regularly again. This is so frustrating and confusing but finally a new claim pops up on Ebenefits, "Eligibility Determination". So after all the time it took the VA to determine I was eligible for Service Connection, a month after they figured that out they have to begin the process over again? Nothing has changed on my end, nothing. Sorry but I'm confused. Anyone ever hear of the VARO doing this? if so how often do they suspend awards to determine if you're still eligible?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Thank you Berta, Nothing in my award packet mentioned temporary or convalescence.. I am not familiar with the term CUE, is that like a note in their system?

We did contact the DAV back during the claims process and filled out the POA, I have heard nothing but great and wonderful things about DAV but the closest location to us, we visited was in a neighboring state, and in the middle of a move to a new location and didn't really seem to have the staff to help so we called them back a few times throughout the claim but each time we got the same person who didn't have the time or answers. We never received so much as a letter or phone call back. Since then we have ourselves moved and not intentionally, but it happens to be closer to the VARO which is Manchester, NH. My wife thought it would be a good idea to contact a different DAV now since they are already listed with the VA as our POA and we are closer to the city.

Good luck w/the Manchester VARO and the DAV there. I've dealt w/both of them and they are the pits! I ended up moving to VT and have some problems w/them but I tend to always win, anyway. The Manchester VSC manager retired some yrs ago, took the job as VSO, at the Am Legion, and proceeded to win all the claims he had been denying all those yrs. Think his name was Kent Davis.

Like Berta said, check your address changes and banks also. Sometimes they screw up, just because someone was looking at an old document. Voc Rehab did that to me - sent my stuff to an old address and then b*tched at me cuz I didn't return paperwork, that I'd never received.

pr

Yes we did make sure the Manchester VARO had our change of address and we have the same direct deposit account.. We have taken the good advice to move the payment to a different account. that was a great idea! We hope for the best and are certainly budgeting for a possible long wait, I will email questions through IRIS Thank You ALL for your answers and advice. Hoping we don't have to get a lawyer.

Small world Philip, we moved from a town close to White River Junction, VT. I expect Manchester has many more Vets so lines will be long for appointments and being seen. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

• HadIt.com Elder
Yes we did make sure the Manchester VARO had our change of address and we have the same direct deposit account.. We have taken the good advice to move the payment to a different account. that was a great idea! We hope for the best and are certainly budgeting for a possible long wait, I will email questions through IRIS Thank You ALL for your answers and advice. Hoping we don't have to get a lawyer.

Small world Philip, we moved from a town close to White River Junction, VT. I expect Manchester has many more Vets so lines will be long for appointments and being seen. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

I used to live in Hartford, VT but now I'm up in the Northeast Kingdom (NEK), over by Colebrook, NH, summers . . . small town called Norton. I spend May to Oct there and back to NC for the winter. Maybe we can have a coffee sometime, this summer?

pr

If the direct deposit was a checking account, even if no monies is in the account. The VA can still withdraw causing you an over draft.. I'm not sure about saving accounts. I know this due to a friends experience who moved funds for the same reason. I just thought I would mention that for an understanding on what the VA can do.

Check eBenifits Under Documents for the Download VA letters.. look for Benefit Verification, see what it says. Also, I forget what tab it is under, but there is a 'payment history' button. Check there to see if they have attempted to despoils any monies. Not always, but I have heard that these things are on eBenifits before any award letter is in the mail.

Then click on 'my personal dashboard' to check the Direct Deposit information they have is still correct. There may be a bunch of XXX for most of your information but verfiy what you do see.

Edited by Aletta

I used to live in Hartford, VT but now I'm up in the Northeast Kingdom (NEK), over by Colebrook, NH, summers . . . small town called Norton. I spend May to Oct there and back to NC for the winter. Maybe we can have a coffee sometime, this summer?

pr

UPDATE: first of all, yes Philip, my wife and I would love to have coffee with a fellow paratrooper! :) and now for the great news, We spent a couple hours at the Manchester VARO today, we got an awesome gentleman we only managed to get his firt name "Bernie" but he was incredibly helpful and sympathetic. He closed the new claim they had opened and told us we should see the direct deposit in a couple days! So again THANKS TO ALL.

If the direct deposit was a checking account, even if no monies is in the account. The VA can still withdraw causing you an over draft.. I'm not sure about saving accounts. I know this due to a friends experience who moved funds for the same reason. I just thought I would mention that for an understanding on what the VA can do.

Check eBenifits Under Documents for the Download VA letters.. look for Benefit Verification, see what it says. Also, I forget what tab it is under, but there is a 'payment history' button. Check there to see if they have attempted to despoils any monies. Not always, but I have heard that these things are on eBenifits before any award letter is in the mail.

Then click on 'my personal dashboard' to check the Direct Deposit information they have is still correct. There may be a bunch of XXX for most of your information but verfiy what you do see.

Thanks Aletta, you are correct, We were able to see my award in the VA letters portion of eBenefits and how much and when it was sent out before we ever received the award packet from the VA. all in all, we are very grateful this was resolved!