VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu An Working A Job During The Process?

Rate this question

mav2u

Question

I put my TDIU claim in 3 years ago. Got divorced this past year an because of the divorce I needed to find a job to work. I finally found one in July of 2012 an was working a few hours a week to help keep from going into foreclosure on my house. I had to also triple my pain meds to work this job.

I even told my C&P examiner I worked an was in pain the whole time but it was what I had to do to keep from being homeless!! I had my C&P exam in October 2012. I'm still working this job today!

I finally got my decision for 100% TDIU the other day.

My question is will they look back at what I earned on my tax returns? I earned less than $6000 dollars last year an only $3000 this year so far. Which I have already quit my part time job that I worked at for the Government as a disabled vet.

Will they cancel my TDIU for this? I had to work an it sucked ever hour that I worked while I was in pain an eating pain pills like candy every day!!!?.

Edited by mav2u

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If they don't mail it to you then download it and fill it out and mail it to them. The VA is famous for hauling vets up for not submitting this form and proposing to cut off TDIU when they never even sent the form to the right address. I would at least send it "Proof of Mailing" when I send it. I send mine in every year after Christmas even if they don't send me one. They match you through SSA earnings to see if you worked or not.

John

I am 100% tdiu. I also have a question regarding income and self employment.

I took on self employment to help pay some bills while my claim was going through processing. I sold insurance but have given up selling it now. Some policies I sold are getting renewed and the insurance company is still sending me commissions on those policies. I refer all the servicing of the client back to the insurance carrier and I don't manage any accounts. Would this still be considered self employment? It's residual income from work completed a couple years ago.

The most I earned while actively selling was about $3500/yr and I disclosed this during the claim process. This year I can expect to make less than $1000/yr in residual income from those same policies.

Thanks,

Xpertshot

• HadIt.com Elder

The amount you earn is a factor but not as much as how much you worked and how often you were unable to go to work or have to leave early do to health reasons. Make a note of how often a month you just could not go to work and had to leave early and highlight it even. That is what can make a big difference. Were you ever layed off or fired to do how often you had to take of work do to health. That is what you want to high light for them. Not how much you were able to make. Good luck.