VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Spouse/dependents Of Ao Veterans Who Passed On

x020574

Question

I am not sure if this article only pertains to those veterans' RO in San Bernadino or accross the nation, but I thought it was informative enough to post.

Looking for spouse/dependents who veteran may NOT have been aware of deseases on AO presumptive list, either because they didn't know or because they died from that illness.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/san-bernardino-county/san-bernardino-county-headlines-index/20130301-region-veterans-affairs-office-seeks-agent-orange-beneficiaries.ece

Hope it helps someone...

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Thanks for this link! I hope it helps some too,

It has been my concern since the AO IHD,PArkinsons, and Hairy Cell B regs came out,in 2010, that many widows are still unaware of these regulations. Also there were almost 7,500 women who served in the military, as in theatre -Vietnam, and those female veterans and their husbands and surviving spouses too might still be unaware of the 3 new presumptives.

The VA made a concerted effort (so they say) to access any past denials based on any of the 3 new presumptives by going through thousands and thousands of old C files, to see if any one of the 3 new AOS had been listed as NSC on a past rating sheet. They were supposed to go through all deceased vets files as well, if there was a potential DIC survivor.

They were then supposed to send the veteran or the survivor a Nehmer letter,advising them they might be eligible for retroactive benefits or DIC.

NVLSP wanted a list of these individuals and unfortunately the VA 'forgot ' to put many of us Nehmer people on the list.

Many Nehmer vets and survivors ,who didnt get a Nehmer letter, probably only knew of the new 3 AO presumptives by using the internet and accessing the VA web site, and sites like hadit.

I got my Nehmer letter well after I filed my AO IHD death claim.

I don't recall all this on AO in 2010 making national news anywhere.

The article is good. The writer is hoping for a 'tidal wave' but that might not happen because the article is reaching a local reading audience unless anyone else googles AO presumptives and this new article turns up-then again it turned up today somehow for YOU. Good.

I think many vet reps out there should have taken the time to get someone in their office (I think they have secretaries) to go through all the files they hold POA on to seek vets or survivors denied in the past with an NSC disability on an old rating sheet,for what are now AO presumptives or would qualify the survivor for DIC.

Then again I think many veterans out there, regardless of AO issues, could file claims but don't because they don't know that they can.or like2 friends I have locally, they want to wait for the backlog to 'calm down' first. The logic in that sure alludes me.

They have failed to preserve the best and earliest entitlement date for retro(they both have good potential claims) by putting off filing formally for comp.

Edited by Berta

I'm not sure, but I don't think this is a VA RO office that is doing this outreach to find these Veterans. I think this San Bernardino County Department of Veterans Affairs is the CA State VA not the Federal Leval who approves or denies Veterans Benifits. I know in MO where I live, there are news releases from the MO VA for outreach for Veterans.

I am sure Veterans and family here and on other sites do as we do when we meet Veterans: that is to ask them if they ever talk with anyone about VA Benifits. And explain them different benifits if needed.

PS, just to add, I have Braunwald on Cardiology, the best cardio text in the world and referenced in Harrisons Principles (the text VA uses to define IHD).

My daughter got it for me for Christas 2010 when IHD went onto the AO list but I found VA's definition did the trick and I didnt need it for help with any of our IHD claims here.

If there are a few secific words in the heart narrative of the auopsy you need definition for,I am sure this text can explain them.

I cannot scan it due to copyright and it wont fit onto my scanner, it is too large and my rural mailman almost fell in the snow pulling it out of his car.

Still the ME or coroner might be the best source of all to explain anything you don't understand in the autopsy.

I'm not sure, but I don't think this is a VA RO office that is doing this outreach to find these Veterans. I think this San Bernardino County Department of Veterans Affairs is the CA State VA not the Federal Leval who approves or denies Veterans Benifits. I know in MO where I live, there are news releases from the MO VA for outreach for Veterans.

I am sure Veterans and family here and on other sites do as we do when we meet Veterans: that is to ask them if they ever talk with anyone about VA Benifits. And explain them different benifits if needed.

You are more than likely correct, but even if a widow reads this article it would prompt them to check with their own local VA or Veteran Service Organization to see if they might be entitled to benefits. Even if they call the number listed in the article, they (San Bernadino RO) sound pretty commited to try and reach this people. I wish we saw more RO's being proactive about this situation.

My state of MO VA (Missouri Veterans Commission) does outreach like this San Bernadino VA organization does. I didn't realize that other State Vet Org didn't do outreach. What I was trying to say was that this artical is not about an RO in San Bernadio. It is the CA state Vet organization. But it doesn't matter, it is a good read and I thank you for posting it. I did share the link with others.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA is supposed to contact the spouses/next of kin(NOK) of those who've been denied claims and died, when their AO related disease is approved, as presumptive, but I doubt they really do it. There are probably many that don't know they have money coming, if they apply. jmo

pr