VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Score

Rate this question

JohnM

Question

Can anyone tell me what a GAF score stands for. I have a list of abrev. but there is a lot of them that are not on this list. Maybe someone could up date the list.

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

GAF- Global Assessment Functioning (a score given to measure ones function in society) this can vary from minute to minute and hour to hour and day to day). However, it is a tool the shrinks all use.

Hope this helps.

Jangrin :rolleyes:

copy and paste

www.chce.research.med.va.gov/chce/pdfs/qsamrep1.pdf#search='gaf%20scores%20scale'

Edited by jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

GAF of 50 or less is usually enough to get 100% for mental conditions. Its purely a subjective score and is not always accurate.

Many people who have a mental disorder will brighent up for 10 or 15 minutes they spend with a shrink. In my opinion this is often a defensive action to not have to talk to strange people.

• HadIt.com Elder

To some extent the GAF is just a short hand way of judgeing the overall funtioning of a patient. I can't see that anyone would or should base a rating only on a GAF. I think the VA leans on the GAF way too much.

JonhM,

A GAF score simply narrows the focus of treatment and what extent the focus of treatment should be. It is a guage that helps prevent a clinician from engaging in a fishing expedition of mental disorders and problems. In reality GAF scores are given little creedance when ratings are established. What makes a rating what it is is comes from previous records, progress notes (if available), the veterans own recollection of causes, severity of the problem, longevity of the problem, how this information fits into the rating schedule, and military records.

Too many veterans rely on the GAF score to determine their disability rating and they intensely focus on it as a number that will tell them their rating when in fact it does not. I have been on many forums and have performed many C and Ps, and the common question I got 95% of the time is, "What is my GAF score?" Whoever started the rumor long ago that a GAF score that falls into a specific level would generate a 100% rating did a huge diservice to veterans. I have even seen what is suppose to be a chart spelling out ratings based on GAF scores. One in particular shows a GAF score from 0 - 40 means 100%. I have known vetrans with GAF scores of 35 get 70%, and seen veterans with GAF scores of 50 get 100%. So to rely on a GAF score as some magical formula to obtain a specific rating is simply untrue.

Patrick