VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Good Lawyer In Northern Wisconsin

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

All,

Not for me, but my wife. She was denied today for her Social Security Disability Claim. I'm sure she has a claim and could win with the right lawyer. I did read how they are compensated, so I understand that part.

Her initial claim was for Chronic Pain Syndrome from bialteral knee surgery, for which she is diagnosed with, however, not on the Social Security list of maledies. She had many more complications and medical issues and we could have proceeded in the wrong direction with the (1st/initial) claim.

Anyway, we (she) has 60 days to request an appeal.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Hamslice

Actually going to Mayo Clinic in Rochester today. She is having 2 minor (but compicated) surgeries tomorrow.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I recommend contacting the National Org of Social Security Claimants Representatives at http://nosscr.org for a referral in your area. The one I had referred from them won me 7 yrs retro. jmo

pr

All,

Not for me, but my wife. She was denied today for her Social Security Disability Claim. I'm sure she has a claim and could win with the right lawyer. I did read how they are compensated, so I understand that part.

Her initial claim was for Chronic Pain Syndrome from bialteral knee surgery, for which she is diagnosed with, however, not on the Social Security list of maledies. She had many more complications and medical issues and we could have proceeded in the wrong direction with the (1st/initial) claim.

Anyway, we (she) has 60 days to request an appeal.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Hamslice

Actually going to Mayo Clinic in Rochester today. She is having 2 minor (but compicated) surgeries tomorrow.

All,

We did our own reconsideration, by ourselves as she recieved 2 additional diagnosis's for two new maladies shortly after the denile. Then two months ago she was ultimatly diagnossed with Progresive MS. She talked to the local SS office when she recieved that news and they had her send in those doctor reports. Also, when at her Neurologist last week, the doc said that she had been contacted by SS and that she had sent her stuff to them and also the second opinion that she had sent my wife to, to confirm the Progresive MS. Her Neurologist stated that the SS usually wants a second opinion and that should suffice. She, the neurologist, offered this up and we did not ask for it, so maybe they are working on my wifes case.

Anyway, I have been reading some of the other SS posts and have a question:

My wife stopped working 11/2011 and initially filed 11/2012. If awarded SSDI, would it go back to when she filled or to when she stopped working? Minus the six months, etc...

Thanks,

Hamslice

It generally goes back to one year before you filed, as long as you are disabled. So if she was disabled 11/11 and filed 11/12, they can go back one year for payments (minus the waiting months). They can actually go back longer, as far as determining disability - but they generally only go back one year as far as payments are concerned.

• HadIt.com Elder

It generally goes back to one year before you filed, as long as you are disabled. So if she was disabled 11/11 and filed 11/12, they can go back one year for payments (minus the waiting months). They can actually go back longer, as far as determining disability - but they generally only go back one year as far as payments are concerned.

I think they'll also go back the waiting period of 5-6 months, for a total of 17-18 months. But, in her case, they may only go back to the MS diagnosis date, because they didn't consider her disabled before that.

pr