VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pulhes P4 National Guard

Rate this question

cssamo

Question

I have a PULHES P4.

Wondering how much longer I have before getting booted out. I am close to my 19 year mark, so hopefully, I can make it to my 20.

Anyone been through this and know what to expect? (Reserve or National Guard)

REFERENCE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PULHES_Factor

"P" stands for "Physical capacity or stamina."

"U" stands for "Upper Extremities".
"L" stands for "Lower Extremities".
"H" stands for "Hearing and Ears".
"E" stands for "Eyes".
"S" stands for "Psychiatric".

1 = Best

4 = Worst

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was booted at 18 yrs 9 months with a p4 like you stated. No more drills after that kind of profile. I was discharged to retired reserves with a 15 yr letter. I recently found out that I should have been medically retired. I sent a packet to abcmr last year, and waiting on that descision now. VA rated it service connection to IRAQ, and the advisory opinion from NGB conceded that I should have had a MEB and that it was likely service connected as well.

... I recently found out that I should have been medically retired....

Thanks Qwik for the qwik reply. :)

When you say that you should have been medically retired, what benefits does that give you from the reserves? I "heard" that if they medical you out, then you get nothing, unless you have your 20 in the Guard/reserves.

Medical retirement is the same for ng or active if injury/illness happened on title 10 (active duty). I didnt know that until last year when i thought i qualified for tricare and was told no i was in gray area and could not get it until i turned60 and drawing ng retirement. I felt ripped off so after resaerching the dod regs reguarding a reservist injured on active duty i found out i was supposed to go thru med board and be placed back on ad for that. Instead i was booted with no LOD. I am waiting on word on what will happen now. But the abcmr sent me an advisory opinion from ngb as stated above. The abcmr said they could accept, reject all or some of opinion. It would mean:retirement backpay to 2006 and tricare which is all i was after to begin with. I was rated by va for ptsd all the way back to ad discharge in 2005.

2 questions men:

cssamo you have 2 periods of service.....does the Mil add those together towards the 20 year mark?

quiksting-

"and the advisory opinion from NGB conceded that I should have had a MEB and that it was likely service connected as well."

and" I was rated by va for ptsd all the way back to ad discharge in 2005."

WOW, arent those PEBLOs supposed to help handle this stuff?

I just know they are f--king around with some of our returning OEFs this way......no vet should go through this..no MEB ...that is wrong

"I didnt know that until last year when i thought i qualified for tricare and was told no i was in gray area and could not get it until i turned60 and drawing ng retirement"

Does that mean you do get full VA care instead of Tricare?

I sure hope you make out OK here.... the ABCMR was a good move for you.

Did you contact them on your own and follow through on this?

Did the Mil advise you that you coud have the BMCR look over your situation?

I am worried we will be seeing many similiar situations like both of you have in the future and hope we can all get up to speed on this stuff.

I have retired lifer friend who works for feds and got the wrong test results from the VA on something he was very worried about.

I keep thinking he is on Tricare and could get a real doctor.

Anyone know if being a fed employee ( he works at the VA) prevents a retiree from using Tricare?

My questions and comments here might sound pretty dumb.

I need to get on the Tricare site and maybe some retiree sites to understand all this.

Edited by Berta

Berta, I dont really know what a peblo is, I dont have one. And yes, I get full va care minus dental. However, it would be nice to have the option to go to a civilian dr outside the VA when I am sick or emergency.

Once I figured out I wasnt "medically retired" from the service like I thought, I researched what a medical retirement was. When i got back from Iraq in 2005, I transferred to a non deployed unit, as I felt that would help me. Along with that I began seeing a MH provider at VA along with going to the Vet center. Both Dr.s decided that it would be in my best interest to file a claim, and get medically retired from the NG. I did not attend weekend drills anymore, I recieved a p4 profile and my paperwork was sent to the state HQ, who placed me in the retired reserves with a 15 yr letter for retirement. That was in 2006. All this time I thought that was what happened to reservist that were not on active duty when something happened to them. My VA mh provider asked that I be retired and I took that as well being done with the service. After talking with the tricare rep and was informed I had to wait till I was 60 to enroll in tricare, I started researching the internet to find out if this was correct. I found out that I should have had a LOD done, placed back on active duty to complete an MEB. If I wait till I am 60 to draw my retirement, it will be offset by VA %. So, in effect I will get nothing. I found out that the army board of corrections was my only avenue to try and get this fixed. I submitted a packet to them last may 2012. I included my VA c&p in 2006 along with another C&P evaluation by the VA in 2008. Both evaluations rated at 70% ptsd. I havent had another evaluation but I feel like it will come again sooner than later. I also included stressors, Bronze star,ARCOM/w v, CAB and Letters from My Va MH dr. and the Vet center Psychologist. Both asking for a military medical retirement. I also with the help of my daughter submitted a timeline of events. The packet was kinda big, but I didnt know how else to pursue it. I understand that the NG wants me to come back on active duty now to complete a LOD. That was in the letter I got in January from the ABCMR. The way I am reading this....Is that I should be retired from the Army at least 30-50%. I should have been getting a retire check from them since 2006.

Sorry not trying to hijack this thread, but if you have any questions cssamo, let me know. I will try and answer what I know. Try and get LOD before you get seperated. That is important.

Edited by qwiksting

That is excellent info quiksting and I am printing it off to keep...

I am not familiar enough with the ABCMR but it seems to me you made enough of a valid argument to get close to a good resolve.

"I understand that the NG wants me to come back on active duty now to complete a LOD"

That is great!

Yesterday I started to look over the Retiree sites and found that, as a surviving spouse of a vet whose death was SCed, I was eligible to join the American Military Retirees Association All they needed was copy of my CHAMPVA card and my Award letter and 25 bucks.

Possibly I will get more info at this site and other retiree sites as to the unique position many retirees get into, and I blame the Mil for making those situations difficult.

http://amra1973.org/About/

It might not be the best site however to learn the facets of retiree problems.

I made comment somewhere here a few days ago and I think it is true.... everyone mustering out of the Mil practically needs a lawyer and a doctor with them these days.

The transitional briefings are probably all excellent but I know how fast that must go, with little time to absorb it all, when discharge is eminent. I am still alarmed that a friend of mine was discharged after 3 decades of Mil service in the Reserves and he got no Exit exam at all.

The article I posted here as to how the Army is refusing to honor FOIA requests regarding Military disability issues just shows me that more and more PTSD vets were probably getting screwed prior to discharge,regardless of time in service.

Edited by Berta