VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For Those In Long-Term Treatment For Ptsd

Rate this question

2E151

Question

Question for those of you who've been fighting PTSD for a while now and are still seeking treatment: I've been in treatment since February of last year; the first nine months was with the OIF/OEF clinic basically zeroing in on my diagnosis and just going over coping mechanisms.

Last fall they moved me over to the mental health unit. I went to the in-processing class and they basically gave us a menu of what kind of treatment we wanted.

Well I got put into the Cognitive Processing Therapy, which to make a long story short made my symptoms worse. I’ve told everyone who will listen at the VA that I’m eager to get treatment, but going to see a psychologist who wanted me to go over my stressor in graphic detail every week definitely wasn’t helping me.

My wife eventually had me withdraw from it because my deterioration was scaring her.

So I went back and essential got the same menu. About 10 options, all eight to 12 week sessions; I ended up picking a group one that will essentially help you cope with your diagnosis and how it affects your life.

I know the VA is trying to tout a lot of these as cures for PTSD; I’ve looked up CPT and the VA pretty much considers it a cure if you complete all 12 weeks.

For those who have been in treatment for years, does the VA keeping trying to cycle you through this same menu? I’ve heard members mention that they’ve been going to group for years, or seeing the same psychologist every week for years, but all I’m seeing is a express lane for a quick cure.

I just need someone to talk to right now. This isn’t like being scared of heights or elevators, what happened to me is deeply personal and I don’t mind coping with the emotions, but I’m not at a stage where I’m ready for someone to bring it to the surface and pick it apart every week. I’m hoping that this group will help me, but I’m also sacred of being pushed back into one of the more abrasive treatments once this is done.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I've never heard of the Vet Center. Is it sponsored or at the VAMC? I don't want to drop off the treatment radar at the VA and hurt my claim.

I personally am fairly sure that my Vet Center has literally saved my life

more than once.

www.vetcenter.va.gov

I personally am fairly sure that my Vet Center has literally saved my life

more than once.

www.vetcenter.va.gov

Just looked it up and we have one local to my area. How does it differ from the Mental Health Clinic at the VAMC? Are they related, do they share information back and forth?

I'v been reading up, and to file PTSD you need a VA doctor to fill out an Initial PTSD DBQ, I know the VA keeps that forum internal, but does anyone know how it compares to the 21-0960P3?

Q: Will VA use DBQs for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?
A: Yes.: However there are two separate DBQs for PTSD depending on whether the Veteran has already been told by VA that he or she is “service connected” for PTSD. If the Veteran has already been told by VA that he or she is “service connected” for PTSD, then a private mental health provider may complete a Review PTSD DBQ (VA Form 21-0960P3). However, if a Veteran has not already been told by VA that he or she is “service connected,” then a DBQ for the initial diagnosis of PTSD (VA Form 21-0960P4) must be completed by a VA mental health provider. The Initial PTSD DBQ cannot be completed by a private mental health provider.

DBQ list downloadable

http://benefits.va.gov/TRANSFORMATION/dbqs/ListByDBQFormName.asp

• HadIt.com Elder

The Vet Centers are funded by the VA but are completely separate. Vet Center records are not shared w/the VA unless you authorize their release to the VA. You will not receive travel pay for Vet Center appointments. Vet Centers offer both individual and group counseling and generally more frequently, than you can get at the VA. I've found them to be most excellent!!! jmo

pr

Just looked it up and we have one local to my area. How does it differ from the Mental Health Clinic at the VAMC? Are they related, do they share information back and forth?

The Vet Centers are funded by the VA but are completely separate. Vet Center records are not shared w/the VA unless you authorize their release to the VA. You will not receive travel pay for Vet Center appointments. Vet Centers offer both individual and group counseling and generally more frequently, than you can get at the VA. I've found them to be most excellent!!! jmo

pr

Since its in the same city as my VAMC I'm going to look into it. The pyschologists are trying quick fixes on me when I just need someone to talk to right now, not necessarily in graphic detail. Just vent my emotions.

For the VA to force you into exposure therapy is really malpractice.

John, the more I think about it, the more I agree. Those 4 weeks of CPT dredged up some memories that I had hoped to supress for the rest of my life. The event, the emotions I felt, I can handle talking about those and learning to cope with them, but somethings, some details, are better left buried. Since I left that treatment my condition has steadily worsened, and the nightmares have gone from 2-4 month to once or twice week.