VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For Those In Long-Term Treatment For Ptsd

Rate this question

2E151

Question

Question for those of you who've been fighting PTSD for a while now and are still seeking treatment: I've been in treatment since February of last year; the first nine months was with the OIF/OEF clinic basically zeroing in on my diagnosis and just going over coping mechanisms.

Last fall they moved me over to the mental health unit. I went to the in-processing class and they basically gave us a menu of what kind of treatment we wanted.

Well I got put into the Cognitive Processing Therapy, which to make a long story short made my symptoms worse. I’ve told everyone who will listen at the VA that I’m eager to get treatment, but going to see a psychologist who wanted me to go over my stressor in graphic detail every week definitely wasn’t helping me.

My wife eventually had me withdraw from it because my deterioration was scaring her.

So I went back and essential got the same menu. About 10 options, all eight to 12 week sessions; I ended up picking a group one that will essentially help you cope with your diagnosis and how it affects your life.

I know the VA is trying to tout a lot of these as cures for PTSD; I’ve looked up CPT and the VA pretty much considers it a cure if you complete all 12 weeks.

For those who have been in treatment for years, does the VA keeping trying to cycle you through this same menu? I’ve heard members mention that they’ve been going to group for years, or seeing the same psychologist every week for years, but all I’m seeing is a express lane for a quick cure.

I just need someone to talk to right now. This isn’t like being scared of heights or elevators, what happened to me is deeply personal and I don’t mind coping with the emotions, but I’m not at a stage where I’m ready for someone to bring it to the surface and pick it apart every week. I’m hoping that this group will help me, but I’m also sacred of being pushed back into one of the more abrasive treatments once this is done.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You are welcome, Berta.

The team leader @ the Vet Center has PTSD, so she knows understands what the veterans and also their families are going through. Being "book smart" is very good, but when you are "street smart" so to speak, you can really understand more of what the veterans are going through. I am so thankful that the Vet Center is allowing me to continue with my family group. They kinda really become part of your "extended" family. How Blessed am I with this group! Veterans helping Veterans...how great is this!!

2E151, Have a good day!happy.png

Celia

This is GREAT. Celia thank you for helping this vet!

I was a vet center volunteer and I know how good the vet centers can be.

It is a non -judgemental comfort zone for so many vets. Vet centers are under auspices of VA, but the control stops there.

I hope you get a great Team Leader. Our team leader had PTSD himself.None of the vet PTSD group vets had VA shrinks who had PTSD.

Right there was a factor in favor of the vet center PTSD groups .. Everyone there understood PTSD because they had it too.

I hope you get a great Team Leader.

I met with him this afternoon, he's a retired Army Vet. For the year I've been in treatment he's the first individual I've talked with who has served. The psychologist I went through CPT had no frame of reference other than what the VA told her. Finally glad to connect with someone who understands the military mindset of "soldier on".

He hosts two group sessions for Vietnam Veterans, and his assistant hosts a mixed group of Vietnam, DS, and OIF/OEF Vets. He said that she is trying to get enough OEF/OIF veterans together to have another group.

So right now its a toss up whether I'll wind up in a group with the Vet Center or the VAMC, hopefully I'll be able to keep seeing the Team Lead at the Vet Center until I get into a group.

Veterans helping Veterans...how great is this!!

That's really how it should be. But it seems like the only place to find that is at the Vet Centers, and I'm just blessed that I have one local and that I heard about it through Hadit. None of the Doctors I've met at the VAMC have any military service history.

Berta:

I just found out I can view most of my medical history through MyhealtheVet. It seems for the last couple of visits my Psychiatrist is tacking on OCPD as an Axis II (At current she has me AXIS I as PTSD, Panic Disorder without Agoraphobia, MDD Remitting) .Should this concern me? I've heard that the VA uses personality disorders as an easy out for MH compensation That and my GAF scores keep seeming to rise despite a worsening condition. At my last visit she gave me a 63 despite putting a note in that said:

Notes: Pt has failed treatment thus far with citalopram, sertraline, paxil, valium, klonopin, ambien, propanolol

Should I be worried?
Edited by 2E151

"I met with him this afternoon, he's a retired Army Vet. For the year I've been in treatment he's the first individual I've talked with who has served. The psychologist I went through CPT had no frame of reference other than what the VA told her. Finally glad to connect with someone who understands the military mindset of "soldier on"."

It is so much better to be able to sit down with your Team Leader who IS a Veteran. They know where you are coming from. The Mental Health lady David had was just that, a Mental Health lady, with really no clue as to how PTSD affects you ( except maybe in the textbooks that she had to read). At least you were able to connect with your Team Leader.

"He hosts two group sessions for Vietnam Veterans, and his assistant hosts a mixed group of Vietnam, DS, and OIF/OEF Vets. He said that she is trying to get enough OEF/OIF veterans together to have another group."

David's group consisted of WWII and Vietnam Veterans. For a while, I believe there was maybe one OEF or OIF Veteran. The second group is Vietnam Veterans. These two groups are very full right now with not much room for new Veterans to come in. The Team Leader travels from the Vet Center and we meet at a community college. At first she came one day a week and now it is three days a week. They are now looking at adding another day to accommodate more Veterans. A few months ago the Team Leader started an evening group for the OEF/OIF Veterans.

"So right now its a toss up whether I'll wind up in a group with the Vet Center or the VAMC, hopefully I'll be able to keep seeing the Team Lead at the Vet Center until I get into a group."

Even though you don't know when you will be able to get into the group; at least you have your foot in the door of the Vet Center. I will keep a good thought! Let us know how things are going for you. I know you are on the right track!!

Celia