VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Surprise 70% Ptsd Rating; Now What Can I Do.............?!

Rate this question

PvtJoyI

Question

I hope you can help me; not sure what I should do.
I was rated Service Connected Disable for PTSD on August 21, 2012 @ 70%. I didn't expect this at all. If anything, I thought I would get a low rating for my physical aliments............(neck, back head shoulder).
When I applied in 11/2011, I had been out of work for 3 yrs and was totally distraught,confused and disoriented. Needless to say, I finally got a job in 02/12 and it is no where near what I use to do or the money I use to make.
I'd like to know what your advice would be for this:
I see where I do have serious social and economic problems and believe I am totally diasable & want to ask for 100% PTSD, Permanent and Total. I'm still on this job that wrecks my nerves, can't stop the obsessive thoughts and wants to hurt people because I don't work well with people at all. I took this week off because I couldn't pull up the gumption to go back in there after the week, mentally.
What should I do; appeal my rating 1st and then apply for TDIU while working or do I go ahead and let the job go in order to apply for TDUI and then appeal the VA's decision?
Thanks in advance.

On 3/13/2013 at 6:53 PM, PvtJoyI said:
I hope you can help me; not sure what I should do.

I was rated Service Connected Disable for PTSD on August 21, 2012 @ 70%. I didn't expect this at all. If anything, I thought I would get a low rating for my physical aliments............(neck, back head shoulder).

When I applied in 11/2011, I had been out of work for 3 yrs and was totally distraught,confused and disoriented. Needless to say, I finally got a job in 02/12 and it is no where near what I use to do or the money I use to make.

I'd like to know what your advice would be for this:

I see where I do have serious social and economic problems and believe I am totally diasable & want to ask for 100% PTSD, Permanent and Total. I'm still on this job that wrecks my nerves, can't stop the obsessive thoughts and wants to hurt people because I don't work well with people at all. I took this week off because I couldn't pull up the gumption to go back in there after the week, mentally.

What should I do; appeal my rating 1st and then apply for TDIU while working or do I go ahead and let the job go in order to apply for TDUI and then appeal the VA's decision?

Thanks in advance.

• HadIt.com Elder

The reason you didnt get 100 percent or IU was the fact you we were working.

100 percent PTSD precludes working.

Dont quit to get IU just yet. That may backfire.

J

Big factor on why you didn't receive 100% for PTSD as JBASSER had stated, your working. You can request a re-evaluation, but based on what you said above, I believe your 70% would be lowered. You stated you been out of work for awhile. Since that evaluation, you have secured employment.

I just hope that you are receiving the counseling that you are entitled to.

Good luck!

“I finally got a job in 02/12 and it is no where near what I use to do or the money I use to make. “

Do you make wages below the poverty level and therefore are not substantially employed?

This post shows what I mean

“. If anything, I thought I would get a low rating for my physical aliments............(neck, back head shoulder). “

Did they defer these issues or mention them at all in the decision?

Do you have a strong service nexus for any of these issues in your SMRs?

What is the prime disability of the neck,back ,head, shoulders and what are you claiming as secondary?

Or are they distinctly separate disabilities?

Reason I ask is that this stuf has to be carefully clarified for the VA in the claim.

Edited by Berta

Thanks for the input.

Here's my break down:

SC for PTSD @ 70 %

Service Connection for PTSD and Opid abuse(claimed as chronic depression, annxiety, panic attacks and sleep disorder.

We have assigned a 70% evaluation for your PTSD and Opid abuse based on: Speech intermittently illogical & irrevelent; The examiner's assessment of your current mental functioning, which is partially reflected in your GAF score;

Your GAF score is 60. No mention of UI.

"A higher evaluation of 100%is not warranted unles there is total occupational and socail impairment, due to symptoms as:Gross impairment in thought processes or communication;Persistent delusions or hallucinations;Grossly inappropriate behavior;Persistent danger of hurting self or others;Intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living;Disorientation to time or place, memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

SC for Right Shoulder Tendonitis @10%

SC for Cervical Spine Degenerative Changes @10%

"A higher evaluation of 20% is not warranted unless there is foward flexion of the cervical spine greater than 15 degrees".

SC for Lumbar Spine Strain @10%

"A higher evaluation of 20% is not warranted unless there is foward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 30 degrees".

I am going to mental health. I'm getting some sleep but haven't started talking about my issues:gang raped @ induction site, married for security and that turned out abusive, can't have kids behind STD from rape, never completeing any goal I set, always failing, haunted by service to my country, some delusion and definie memory loss; no relationship in over 10 yrs including no sexual activity; rarely deal with people.

I just went to a VSO and he said that I don't need to appeal the decision because they gave me a rating. If anything, submit medical evidence to support a request in increase of %'s.; don't file for UI unless I'm not working; should I quit the job, but sure to stay that it was due to complication of my PTSD; Don't go for an appeal because it takes 5 yrs for a decision.

What else can I say................................I'm really torn and confused and don't know what to do.

All Input Welcomed and Thanks!