VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oh Dear, Retro Pay Sent To Closed Account

Rate this question

Imtellinellen

Question

Warning: Medium sized wall of text incoming.

Well, along with the great relief of winning my award for 100% last month came a bit of bad news.

On the 27th of feburary, my Retro-pay was sent to a non-existant account due to a single mistyped number in the VA computer system.

The payment was returned to the VA the very next day.

I immediately called peggy at the 800 number and changed my direct deposit information to the correct number.

A week went by (8th of feb) and I called Peggy again to get an update and I was told that because the payment that was returned was so large my benefits had been suspended until the Treasury could verify my information and issue a new check to the the correct account.

I was told that all payments (including my normal monthly amount) were suspended as well and I would not be recieving any payments until everything was fixed.

No one at the VA could tell me with any accuracy how long the wait would be before I would see my deposit and I'm very worried.

I'm not going to bore you with the fine details. Lets just say that none of my bills are getting paid this month and I've been eating delicious ramen for 18 days.

Does anyone have any information as to how long this could take and what I could do to speed up the process?

Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy to have won my claim. It's just crazy stressful knowing that if my payment doesn't come in next month I could be on the streets.

I've been down this road before and it's nothing I want to experiance again.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

-ellen

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Geez.......

Send the VA an IRIS via their main VA web site's Contact Us button.

Send the Iris as a complaint ,using the complaint menu, and tell them this:

"On the 27th of feburary, my Retro-pay was sent to a non-existant account due to a single mistyped number in the VA computer system."

I am concerned if they will issue a paper check or actually get the deposit info right.

They pulled something like this on me in 2010.

They dont like IRIS complaints and usually get right on them in my experience, because those complaints go to VA Central too.

Or if you give me the name of the VARO that screwed up I might have their fax number and some VSM or director's phone number.

"I was told that all payments (including my normal monthly amount) were suspended as well and I would not be recieving any payments until everything was fixed.

No one at the VA could tell me with any accuracy how long the wait would be before I would see my deposit and I'm very worried."

Tell Iris that too and that you are eating Ramen noodles.

I have one other suggestion but let's see how the IRIS goes first.

They cant even pay our nation's debt of gratitude without making ridiculous errors like this.

Do you have a vet rep who might be able to help?

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm submitting an IRIS inquiry as I write this. Hopefully someone on the other end can help.

*update*

I got a call from the VA 5 minutes ago. The gentleman who I spoke to told me that they just submitted the request to lift the suspension on March 11th! 12 days after I called and changed my information.

The VA benefit counselor informed me that It could still take up to a month from the day they submitted the request. I honestly don't have a month.

My lights get turned off in 4 days, and I had a demand for payment taped to my apartment door on Saturday from my landlord.

It wouldn't be so bad if I was still going to receive my normal benefit. I'm not really concerned about the retro pay at the moment, I'm sure it will come some day.

I just need my normal benefit and everything would be fine.

I'll keep updating if I get any new information.

I'm still insanely grateful that my claim was closed successfully and after this mess get's fixed my quality of life should improve dramatically.

My car went to motor heaven last month and when the retro hits I can get a replacement and maybe move out of this efficiency and into my own place.

-ellen

Edited by Imtellinellen

Have you tried calling VA direct deposit number at 1 (877) 838-2778, now that your account info is updated and your account is not suspended maybe they can help.

Hope the best.

I've called them a few times, they don't know much about the suspension. It's odd to feel so happy about winning my claim and so depressed about the aftermath.

My neighbor gave me a dozen eggs, a sack of potato's and some baked beans so I have food now.

So the state of Colorado gave me an emergency food stamp card. So that's one less thing to worry about.

I'm just gonna wait it out and hope everything works out by the first of April. I also got a big bag of cat food for Lefty my one eyed cat (see avatar).

Other than that, I have nothing to report yet.

*update*

Following the advice of a young woman I talked too at the VA 800 number,

I have faxed a copy of my eviction notice and other such information to my regional office with a cover letter that stated:

Attn: Financial Hardship, Request to expedite payment.

I'm not sure if doing so will actually speed the process up but it couldn't hurt...

Time to wait out the weekend.

Edited by Imtellinellen