VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oh Dear, Retro Pay Sent To Closed Account

Rate this question

Imtellinellen

Question

Warning: Medium sized wall of text incoming.

Well, along with the great relief of winning my award for 100% last month came a bit of bad news.

On the 27th of feburary, my Retro-pay was sent to a non-existant account due to a single mistyped number in the VA computer system.

The payment was returned to the VA the very next day.

I immediately called peggy at the 800 number and changed my direct deposit information to the correct number.

A week went by (8th of feb) and I called Peggy again to get an update and I was told that because the payment that was returned was so large my benefits had been suspended until the Treasury could verify my information and issue a new check to the the correct account.

I was told that all payments (including my normal monthly amount) were suspended as well and I would not be recieving any payments until everything was fixed.

No one at the VA could tell me with any accuracy how long the wait would be before I would see my deposit and I'm very worried.

I'm not going to bore you with the fine details. Lets just say that none of my bills are getting paid this month and I've been eating delicious ramen for 18 days.

Does anyone have any information as to how long this could take and what I could do to speed up the process?

Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy to have won my claim. It's just crazy stressful knowing that if my payment doesn't come in next month I could be on the streets.

I've been down this road before and it's nothing I want to experiance again.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

-ellen

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Small update -

Got a call from Peggy this morning. Not a guarantee but she thinks my check will hit by Thursday. Not gonna get my hopes up.

In other news

Happy Birthday to me! Yesterday that is!

*update*

I pawned my laptop and cellphone this morning so I could fill up my friends gas tank and drive 100 miles to the Regional VA office this morning to have a word with them.

I signed in at 11:00AM, took my seat, and waited.

The highlight of my day was setting in the waiting room with 10 other people watching 5 counselors stand around for 20 minutes talking about the broken coffee machine and about how annoying it was when people complained about having to wait so long to be seen.

Then, to everyone's suprise, the entire office just walked out of the room and didn't come back... for 5 hours.

That's right, with all of us sitting there looking at them like they had lost there minds, all 5 counselors just walked out without a word and stayed gone the entire work day.

I sat for 6 hours in the waiting room after I had signed in before I was seen by a benefit counselor.

After she did a bit of computer work she gave me the following information:

1. The reinstatement forms that Peggy had sent to them 3 times this month never arrived.

2. The paperwork that I personally faxed to them had vanished completely.

3. My financial hardship paperwork had also magically vanished.

What an amazing set of coincidences!

When I asked who dropped the ball on my case, she told me that she wasn't going to place blame on anyone and that she wouldn't talk about it anymore with me.

If I hadn't sold my few possessions to travel to the regional office, my benefits would have been in limbo forever...

In the end, I followed her personally up to the finance office and waited until I could physically watch them re-instate my benefits.

She told me that it could be up to 15 more days before my benefits would be deposited and that I most definitely would NOT be receiving my normal benefit on the first.

I'm thoroughly impressed by the service, compassion and work ethic of my regional VA office. It's always wonderful to see such a well-oiled machine running so smoothly.

Edited by Imtellinellen

Good grief, this is an atrocity....horrible disservice to anyone, especially a veteran!

You are inspiring Ellen, the tenacity in which you forged forward (the drive to your local VARO) --- that is the tenacity that VA employees should handle all claims, however, they dropped the ball on your claim. I am sorry this happened to you, we've been there ourselves and it is not a great feeling.

Good for you for walking it through to finance.

And, Happy Belated Birthday to you !