VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adding A Secondary Issue To Current Claim

Rate this question

USMCVet87

Question

I already filed a claim for PTSD in January. Would it slow down the process to add a claim for major depression & anxiety with a FDC ? Or should I wait and see what happens withe PTSD claim ? VA Psychologist diagnosed me with major depression & anxiety instead of ptsd. Prescribed 2 meds. for the depression & anxiety thru the VA.

Edited by USMCVet87

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would file an amendment, to to original claim, to include the depression & anxiety. I also feel the VA is trying to avoid the PTSD diagnoses, to save them money, in the long run, as depression and anxiety are curable and so far, PTSD, is not. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I would use the "Statement in Support of Claim" form, which I'm sure someone here will post the number. I would just state: "Dear Sirs, I would like to amend my claim dated xx/xx/xxxx, for PTSD, to include and not be limited to, major depression and anxiety, and any other mental/psychological that may be found that are otherwise unknown to me. I further request that I be awarded the maximum rating allowed by law.

jmo

pr

Is there a form I need to fill out and submit to make an amendment ? Thanks !

I would use the "Statement in Support of Claim" form, which I'm sure someone here will post the number. I would just state: "Dear Sirs, I would like to amend my claim dated xx/xx/xxxx, for PTSD, to include and not be limited to, major depression and anxiety, and any other mental/psychological that may be found that are otherwise unknown to me. I further request that I be awarded the maximum rating allowed by law.

jmo

pr

pr that form # is VA form 21-4138 and might add that I would not add the line (and any other mental/phychological that might be found that are otherwise unknown to me. ) But suggest to write ( and may be further requested for adjustment due to any other mental/psychological disorders found that may be unknoun to me at this time.

Hope this helps pr and USMC Rich

Edited by Ridehard2208

You do not have to file an admendment. A C/P examination will be set up for you based upon your claim for PTSD. When you go to this appointment, you will see someone from behavorial medicine. They will determine what mental health condition you have. Most claims that I file, if a veteran does not have a diagnosis of PTSD, but there are annotations in his/her medical records concerning any mental health conditions, I put down general mental health condition. When the rating decision comes back it will state the condition that the VA counselors diagnosed the vet.

You stated that you had been diagnosed with major deppression and anxiety, that's what the VA will rate you as. Again, don't do anything to your claim. By submitting an additional claim, it will slow the process down.

I wouldn't worry about it, leave it stand....

Edited by meghp0405

meghp0405, Hi ! How will the VARO in Chicago know about my diagnoses from my local VA clinic social worker and psychologist ? I filed my claim January 25th and have yet to be set up with a C&P exam,is this a normal amount of time to wait ? According to ebenefits my claim is in the 2nd stage which is "under review". Do I need to print out from myhealthevet my diagnosis from the psycholigist as to my anxiety & depression(he stated to my spouse & I it's definetely service conneceted) and send that to the VARO in Chicago ? Thanks !