VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Mental Health

Rate this question

raidertone

Question

Can someone help me out in what to expect from such an exam...

I am currently service connected for some gulf war presumptive issues and have some other presumptive issues on appeal (sleep disturbances, chronic fatigue, muscle and joint pain). Last I heard was that my appeal was getting ready to be shipped off to DC and now comes this mental health exam c&p out of nowhere? Any info/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Go to the exam! The shrink may ask you a lot of questions about your childhood, teenage years, home life, drug use or trouble with the law. What to keep in mind is that you were fine until the military and now you are disabled. Don't let them go on a fishing trip through your life before the military. If they ask you if you feel depressed tell the truth. Don't hold back negative feelings. Just dress and behave like you normally do. Don't try to make yourself worse or better than you are.

John

Do you have a MH claim in ?

Have any of your medical providers mentioned PTSD, Depression,

Anxiety, Panic Attacks, etc . . and if yes did they relate them to

something in your records from active duty or if the condition is

secondary to a SC'd condition/s ?

Can someone help me out in what to expect from such an exam...

I am currently service connected for some gulf war presumptive issues and have some other presumptive issues on appeal (sleep disturbances, chronic fatigue, muscle and joint pain). Last I heard was that my appeal was getting ready to be shipped off to DC and now comes this mental health exam c&p out of nowhere? Any info/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you Carlie and John for the responses. I definitely will be going to the exam, it's just that the mental health exam came out of left field.

I don't have any mental health claims in and no medical provider has brought up the possibility of ptsd or anything else like that. Do you think that someone might be trying to see if the sleep disturbances, chronic fatigue and pain issues might be due to something like ptsd?

Thank you Carlie and John for the responses. I definitely will be going to the exam, it's just that the mental health exam came out of left field.

I don't have any mental health claims in and no medical provider has brought up the possibility of ptsd or anything else like that. Do you think that someone might be trying to see if the sleep disturbances, chronic fatigue and pain issues might be due to something like ptsd?

Could be

9422 Pain disorder

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=0073d0ba2e37e1924a317a0c4f813563&rgn=div8&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5.2.111.73&idno=38

Thanks Carlie. I guess I will find out soon enough. My appointment is next week and I have a feeling it's going to be very interesting.

Well I went to the exam yesterday. It was a total farce and waste of time. Within the first 5 minutes the examiner told me that she had no idea why the va requested me to be seen for the pain, fatigue and sleep issues. She told me that those issues were not from mental health problems. She also went on to say that they could be from ptsd but that the va did not request that examination and therefore could not address it. To say that I was pissed and let it be known, would be an understatement....although of course she still kept me there for about 45 minutes so she could bill for an hour I'm sure smile.png

Edited by raidertone