VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Mental Health

Rate this question

raidertone

Question

Can someone help me out in what to expect from such an exam...

I am currently service connected for some gulf war presumptive issues and have some other presumptive issues on appeal (sleep disturbances, chronic fatigue, muscle and joint pain). Last I heard was that my appeal was getting ready to be shipped off to DC and now comes this mental health exam c&p out of nowhere? Any info/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well I went to the exam yesterday. It was a total farce and waste of time. Within the first 5 minutes the examiner told me that she had no idea why the va requested me to be seen for the pain, fatigue and sleep issues. She told me that those issues were not from mental health problems. She also went on to say that they could be from ptsd but that the va did not request that examination and therefore could not address it. To say that I was pissed and let it be known, would be an understatement....although of course she still kept me there for about 45 minutes so she could bill for an hour I'm sure smile.png

• HadIt.com Elder

How does this doctor know your pain problems are not part of "pain disorder" due to SC conditions? As some of the physical problems I have from AO got worse I felt depressed and it was due to pain and disability that was already SC. The shrinks should at least give you an MMPI or something to see your overall mental status. I don't know how they look at you one time and determine your pain causing depression.

John

How does this doctor know your pain problems are not part of "pain disorder" due to SC conditions? As some of the physical problems I have from AO got worse I felt depressed and it was due to pain and disability that was already SC. The shrinks should at least give you an MMPI or something to see your overall mental status. I don't know how they look at you one time and determine your pain causing depression.

John

I had a C&P exam done on Monday April 8, 2013 for an increase for my service connected mental health conditions. When I got to the exam I asked the examiner if she had looked at my C-file and if she had read that file. She stated that she had looked at my C-file and read over it. During the exam I answered all of her questions. Most of the stuff that I said did not get put into her report. My diagnoses that I was being seen for was Depressive mood disorder and chronic adjustment disorder with depression and anxiety. I have been diagnosed with these since 2007 while in the service(Army) and while in the VA system since 2008. The examiner put for her diagnoses Axis I: Alcohol Dependence and Axis II: Cannabis Abuse. Clearly the examiner did not even look at my medical records since I'm clearly service connected for Chronic Adjustment Disorder with Depression and Anxiety and Depressive Mood Disorder. Everything in her report stated that all of my symptoms were from the Alcohol Dependence like panic attacks and chronic sleep impairment. I have since been diagnosed with sleep apnea and on a CPAP machine so clearly my drinking has not been the reason why I have sleep impairment. I even stated that to the examiner, and she put that in the report.

I feel as if this report is entirely incorrect and false. I told the examiner that I do not drink anymore and that I do not smoke cannabis at all. I also told the examiner that I briefly stated that to one VA mental health doctor, and I have not used ever since. That was over two years ago. In her report she quoted that I stated that while on active duty I was diagnosed with Adjustment disorder with depressed mood, which is true. In her closing remarks, she states that my symptoms are from my alcohol dependence and not from my chronic adjustment disorder.

I have been diagnosed with chronic adjustment disorder with depression and anxiety and depressive mood disorder, and those diagnoses are on my VA medical records. I have been diagnosed with those mental health disorders from two different VA psychologists, two different VA psychiatrists, and a psychologist while on active duty. When I mentioned this to my girlfriend, who has lived with me for the last two years, she could not believe this since she knows I have not been drinking or smoking in the last two years. I do not know what I need to do since this C&P exam is completely incorrect. I have submitted all of my mental health records from when I put in my request for this increase dating back to April 2012 to the present. Please help in any way you possibly can.

Well I got a large white envelope yesterday out of the blue. It turns out that since the shrink decided that those issues weren't related to mental health, they awarded me sc 10% for a combination of chronic fatigue, muscle/joint pain and sleep disorders. However it did not effect my previous 40% rating, therefore no further compensation was awarded.

Is it normal to combine three separate issues and award only 10%? Especially since they never ordered a c&p with a medical doctor on either one? The only exam I received for the three issues was the mental health one. I'm confused. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.