VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice For Dro Hearing In April

Rate this question

jcolwell

Question

Read your posting daily.

Appeal for IHD, Gerd, and Chronic Renal disease. Thailand, direct exposure herbicide as perimeter guard and jet engine mechanic.

DRO Interview 4/2/2013.

Need advice what to expect at DRO meeting. Thanks and wish me luck.

Jim

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Well my DRO hearings in Detroit, simply stated is they put me in a room with a DRO and a tape recorder. They essentially let me explain why I thought they were wrong and I went through my evidence. The DRO asked very little questions and did not explain any thing about the decision that was made. My sense was they intentionally did not want to discuss evidence or the prior decision. They spoke just enough to demonstrate they were listening and that was about it.

It did not meet my expectations of a discussion on the decision that was made and how they evaluated the evidence. It does however give you an oportunity to fully explain your evidence and gives you the opportunity to state why SC/rating should be decided. It allows you to point out VA regulation and CFR references that support your contentions.

I actually had my Cervical spine portion of my appeal/nod granted the day after my DRO hearing. The other parts of it 2.25 years and waiting....

Edited by 71M10

Read your posting daily.

Appeal for IHD, Gerd, and Chronic Renal disease. Thailand, direct exposure herbicide as perimeter guard and jet engine mechanic.

DRO Interview 4/2/2013.

Need advice what to expect at DRO meeting. Thanks and wish me luck.

Jim

Hopefully you have some evidence of record that was not considered

in the prior decision, that supports a grant of benefits

OR

some additional N&M evidence that does this.

If you have a VSO they will most likely meet with you about an hour prior to

the hearing and go over things with you.

The hearing seems a little formal because you are sworn in and the audio

will be recorded.

Try to focus on the issue/s that are under the DRO's jurisdiction and what

evidence supports granting the issue/s.

Hearing completed 2 weeks ago with DRO. He commented to my VSO during the meeting that if this was approved it would be 100 P and T with the ICD. She agreed and then the meeting went on . Input good or bad ..........
1. Could be a year before I hear decision ?

2. Is there un written rules at VA and with VSO that approving a 100 % diagnosis is costly with retro( 2.5 years) to the VA and they might delay decision as long as possible ?

3. Do DAV officers get atta boys when they win for the vets ?

Thanks

Answers

1. Yes easily a year. My DRO hearing was 3/2011 still waiting, eBenefits thinks a decision was made 3/26/2013 (still haven't seen it). This will vary greatly by RO.

2. There has been no whistle blower testimony that un-written rules for stalling and intentional delay exist. I would however point out my neighbor (RIP) had an presumptive agent orange claim for cancer pending 3 years (his prognosis was terminal and his cancer was on the presumptive list and his DD214 listed his 2 tours). He was awarded 100%, 26 days after they changed the rules that a spouse could continue the claim if the veteran died. I personally think they have given up on the run out the clock tactic and are now generally just lowballing in the hopes a vet gives up or misses thier deadlines.

3. I really could care less about the motivations or rewards systems for DAV officers (or any VSO for that fact). I think Veterans should consider "service organizations" as social clubs. The current backlog and lack of action by the service organizations(think 10s of thousands of angry vets picketting regional offices on weekends as part of an effective strategy to obtain action) essentially demonstrates that is what they are.

Your welcome, thank you for your service.