VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Pay

Rate this question

Dakkonusmc

Question

I received a first payment of $708.00. I have a wife and 2 children. $708.00 would add up to 40% disability, but what about back-pay? I got lucky and finished the process in 3 months. So my question is, is $708.00 my monthly payment or is that with back pay? Also, what is a "retroactive" payment? Thanks in advanced.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good luck in waiting for the VA and DFAS to communicate. Better luck getting a straight answer. Check this out. Here is what I got when trying to get a status:

Our current response time is between 73.5 and 91.875 days.

You should receive a response any time between now and January 4, 2017 

This was in response to my contact with DFAS in the email below

October 04, 2016

I would like to be notified of the status of audits being conducted between DFAS and the VA for my Disability Benefits. Letter correspondence dates and statuses do not correspond with the information I am given over the phone by service representatives. Each time I am given information I am told the process has either sitting in the beginning stage or not started yet. My initial notification of the process was dated 1 September 2016 and I was just told today that the audit is "sitting in que" as of September 30th 2016.I realize the process does take some time but Please can I just have a straight answer on the status Thank You.

Call DFAS 1-800-321-1080 and work your way to the audit folks, They will tell you the current status. If completed and returned to the VA, e-mail a FOI request for a copy. You will get it. Then go to work on the VA. They have a view that retiree's already get theirs so they can wait. 

I  am retired coast guard.   I have been waiting for my retro pay for nearly a year now.  I was a Awarded back in March 2018 and they paid the back pay since January 2018.  The rest of the back P computations had to go through the system.  So it went to the VA then to the coast guard then to homeland security then back to the VA in September 2018.  I have been waiting ever since to get the retro pay dating from when I 1st filed my claim in May 2016.  So they owe me from 2016 through the end of 2017 and it has been held up by the VA ever since.  I can barely understand why it had to go to the VA to begin with if it then had to clear the to other agencies only to sit for nearly a year now waiting for the remainder

Dakkonusmc,

Check your bank account. Retro pay is usually direct deposited into your account.

Georgiapapa...

Dakkonusmc,

Sorry for not answering the second question in your post. Retroactive pay is the total compensation you are due back to the effective date of your claim. If you filed three months ago, you would probably be entitled to three months of retroactive disability compensation. However, If you filed your claim within a year from the date you were discharged from active duty, I believe you would probably be entitled to retroactive compensation back to the date you were discharged.

Georgiapapa...

• HadIt.com Elder

It looks like the 40% amount is correct, at $708. If you applied Jan 1, 2013 and won your comp would begin on 2/1/2013 but actual payment doesn't begin until 3/1/2013, as it's paid after the fact or in arrears, meaning the check you get on 3/1/2013 is for Febuary 2013. Sounds like there'd be no arrearage, since your claim was processed sooooo fast. The VA doesn't start paying until the first of the month following the application date. If you applied on 12/31/2012, your first check would be paid on 2/1/2013. That one day difference costs you one month's payment.

pr

I received a first payment of $708.00. I have a wife and 2 children. $708.00 would add up to 40% disability, but what about back-pay? I got lucky and finished the process in 3 months. So my question is, is $708.00 my monthly payment or is that with back pay? Also, what is a "retroactive" payment? Thanks in advanced.

Edited by Philip Rogers