VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal For Mdd - Iu

Rate this question

jdman

Question

I have an appeal for MDD I am currently rated at 30%. I just went on a QTC C&P Exam in January 2013 for my MDD. I want to file for TDIU but I am afraid it will slow down the process. I have not been able to work since September 2011. My VSO advised me not to file for TDIU until my appeal is complete. I am really confused as to what to do. Here are my results. Can someone give me some advice?

Last time my GAF was a 60 three years ago.
Here is the way it is all stated on the DBQ.
Axis 1 MDD, Recurrent, Severe
Axis 1 PTSD, Chronic
Axis IV Marital and Family Stressors, unemployment, limited social support
Axis V GAF 45
Section 1
Under Occupational and Social Impairment with Regard to all mental diagnoses:
Checked - Occupational and Social Impairment with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgement, thinking and mood
Section II - Relevant Mental Health History
Mr. Blank denied having any history of mental health problems prior to his enlistment. He reported that he has experienced depression since 1997 when he was hospitalized following a suicide attempt. Mr. Blank described his recent mood as depressed. He stated that his depressive symptoms have been constant and denied experiencing any remission in symptoms. He reported that he recently experienced feelings of sadness, hopelessness and irritability, low self esteem, fatigue and poor memory. He indicated that he has poor motivation for activities of daily living and reported that his wife must remind him to shower, brush teeth and shave. He stated that he is forgetful and has difficulty recalling birthrates or when to pay bills. He also complained " I have a hard time remembering my name". Mr. Blank also reported that he has difficulty recalling the names of previously familiar individuals. He described having problems maintaining focus while watching TV or typing on the computer. He also stated that he has difficulty driving because he can't focus. He reported that his appetite is poor. He stated that he typically eats twice a day and has observed a weight loss of 15 lbs in the past 2 weeks. Mr. Blank described having difficulty sleeping due to ruminative thinking about all of this different stuff. He reported having problems with anger and stated that he is bothered by "road rage, children not listening".
Symptoms:
Depressed Mood
Anxiety
Near continous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively
chronic sleep impairment
Impairment of Short and Long term memory
Flattened affect
disturbances of motivation and mood
difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or worklike setting
Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships
suicidial ideation
intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living, including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene
Remarks
The multiple Axis I diagnoses are related and the secondary diagnosis is not a progression of the primary diagnosis because the diagnoses are comorbid, but separate.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You would have to get extra-scheduler at your current percentage and that is almost impossible to achieve. You will need to get to 60% for MDD to get IU the conventional path. That is probably why your VSO said to hold off.

• HadIt.com Elder

At this point given what you just said I would hold off on the TDIU. I think you should get 70%-100% based on the C&P exam you had in January. I filed for TDIU when I was 30% but that was early in my claim for an increase. As soon as I lost my job I filed for TDIU.

John