VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Compensation

Rate this topic

cg1979

Here is my story, Honorable discharged in 2006 after 5 years AD. In 2009 I placed a claim for a torn meniscus right knee and used a service organization/veterans representative to help me, my claim was denied. I then read all I could on the internet and forums and decided to file a appeal on my own using the knowledge I aquired. I then filed a claim on my own, against the advice of everyone (not including the internet forums), for hypothyroidism/hyogonadism, left knee torn meniscus, tinnitus, and hypertension. I scheduled multiple appointment with independent doctors as well as VA doctors so they could examine me and I compiled those medical records. I contacted Dr. Bash and had him review ALL my medical records to date and he interview me, he wrote a Independent Medical Expert Nexus Opinion. I contacted people whom I was stationed with and I knew well and had them write letters to support my claim, I had friends and family write letters of support. I then put together a entire packet with a outline and tabbed everything so they VARO could easily navigate it and review all the information from my records, opinions, and statements. In October of 2012 I received a letter from the BVA that they agreed my knee was service connected and awarded me 0%. Yesterday 3/23/2013 I received a package from the VARO that rated me as follows. Hypothyroidism/Hypogonadism 100%, Right knee 20%, Left knee 20%, Tinnitus 10%, Hypertension rated at 0%.

It did take a long time from the time I submitted my first claim but needless to say I am pleased with the final outcome. This took a lot of work, research, appointments, time and expenses on my part. I believe my success in my rating decision was from my research and hard work, I believe Br. Bash's opinion was extremely valuable, and I believe providing ample documentation from medical doctors (VA as well as independent) laid out in a organized fashion was crucial.

I have not seen any payment as of yet, the letter stated that I should see payment within 15 days, I am not sure if that will include retroactive pay. Since I am rated at 100% I will now attempt to have my student loans forgiven in full and I will apply for S-DVI insurance. Good luck to all my fellow disabled vets, I wish you all success in your claims as well as your future endeavors.

That is the way to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was the 100% a P & T award?

Have you applied for, or do you already receive SSDI benefits?

Was the hypothyroidism/hyogonadism due to a TBI?

I am familiar with some of these terms in relation to the pituatary glands.

I would think the hypothyroidism/hyogonadism , regardless of the service cause, would be a total and permanent disability.

“I have not seen any payment as of yet, the letter stated that I should see payment within 15 days, I am not sure if that will include retroactive pay. Since I am rated at 100% I will now attempt to have my student loans forgiven in full and I will apply for S-DVI insurance. Good luck to all my fellow disabled vets, I wish you all success in your claims as well as your future endeavors. “

When my deceased husband applied for a student loan waiver, I recall the VA declared him P & T on the form from the Higher Ed Department of NYS,so I guess I think that is what Student Loan waivers require but not sure.

The P & T designation comes with other benefits.

Your retroactive payment should have the date of the claim as the EED (Earliest Effective date)

regarding the claim you filed and appealed.

When you said you filed the claim on your own, is this the claim that the BVA awarded?

Was there another claim denied ,and unappealed, ????

I might be confused here on that. If the original denial was continuously prosecuted and the award comes from that ortiginal claimn, then the date of filing that claim should be the EED for the retro.

Check the bank account from time to time for the Retro money.

You did VERY WELL!!!!!

Not all claims need the type of research and perseverance you gave to your claim, but Most of them, these days, DO!

I hoe everyone out there who reads as a guest and our members carefully consider what you did here.

You left NO stone unturned!!!!

Dr. Bash was a good investment you made. He did 2 IMOs for me and I would stil be fighting the VA without them.

I hope you stay with us and become an active part of hadit because your story has already helped MANY and it is a testament to what it often takes to succeed:

“This took a lot of work, research, appointments, time and expenses on my part. I believe my success in my rating decision was from my research and hard work, I believe Br. Bash's opinion was extremely valuable, and I believe providing ample documentation from medical doctors (VA as well as independent) laid out in a organized fashion was crucial. “

That says it all. Congratulations and Welcome to hadit!!!!

Edited by Berta

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use